Working lunch, or where do you eat?

sonflowerinwales

In the country
When I joined my company, I was told that we could eat our lunch at our desks. No problem with me. There is a supermarket 10 mins walk away for supplies.
The question is, do you agree or not agree with lunch breaks at your workstation/desk?
Paul

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
sonflowerinwales said:
When I joined my company, I was told that we could eat our lunch at our desks. No problem with me. There is a supermarket 10 mins walk away for supplies.
The question is, do you agree or not agree with lunch breaks at your workstation/desk?
Paul

I don't see any problems eating lunch at my desk.

Coury Ferguson
Program/Contracts Manager

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
sonflowerinwales said:
Paul
I'm doing it as I post.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Al Rosen said:
I'm doing it as I post.

Ditto.

There are, of course, a few "problems" associated with eating lunch at your desk...
  • Overworked...the only breaks you take are for the bathroom (please, no comments on that person who combined a toilet and his chair into one...). Let's face it...that's not healthy and while we try to fool ourselves into thinking that a working lunch means we'll leave work early, we all know that seldom happens.
  • Crumbs in the keyboard....which feed those little lifeforms I've found live there when I blast it with air. I discovered they don't like curry, when they threw my spicy shrimp back at me. :D
  • Those inconsiderate co-workers who have the audacity to actually take a break at their desks and chit-chat loudly whilst I attempt to continue working. ;)
  • Remembering not to answer the phone while chewing. "...ewh-oh? i! un 'ec." *gulp* "Sorry, I was eating my sandwich."
  • Did I mention overworked? I mean, that 2 or 3 o'clock wall exists and without the little break to recharge the mind, it can become difficult to avoid running head-on into it.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
As an option, especially for folks who are on a diet or who have some personal chores or tasks to complete, I love the idea of being able to grab a quick bite at my desk and then finish up writing a letter or sending personal email.

For manufacturing work stations (assembly lines, production machines, overhead cranes, inspection labs, etc.), I think it is primarily a hygiene and housekeeping issue.

As a regular, five-day-a-week thing, I think it's a terrible idea. My personal opinion is that folks NEED a psychological break from the task. The psychological break can also include social interaction, either in a company break room, lunchroom, or cafeteria that serves food and beverage, or in an outside cafe or restaurant.

Semi-:topic:
When I was a young investment banker, two or three days a week were three-hour "working lunches" or evening dinners where I was wooing a client looking for money or a client looking to invest money. Usually these meals were at a private club. In season, they might stretch to 9 or 18 holes of golf at our club or the client's.

Somehow, that all changed in the mid-eighties, and we switched to 45-minute "power breakfasts" with clients at 6 or 7 am (sometimes two breakfasts in the same day), almost every day, leaving a full work day with a 30 or 45 minute "partner's lunch" catered in to the boardroom where we discussed the status of pending deals with any partners not out of town on a deal.

We no longer did evening entertainment during the week unless it was some sort of charity function where we could network with friendly competitors about potential joint ventures between our clients.

In over forty years of working, I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I ate alone at my desk, but dozens or even hundreds of times where I skipped lunch and worked on through to finish a pressing project.

C

Craig H.

Wes Bucey said:
As a regular, five-day-a-week thing, I think it's a terrible idea. My personal opinion is that folks NEED a psychological break from the task. The psychological break can also include social interaction, either in a company break room, lunchroom, or cafeteria that serves food and beverage, or in an outside cafe or restaurant.

We have a local company that REQUIRES their Foremen to leave the site for lunch each day, to "recharge" for an hour.

R

ralphsulser

We can leave the building or eat in the lunchroom. We are not allowed to eat or drink at our desks at any time. We get 50 minutes for lunch. The President said that no matter if we leave late for lunch, we have to be back at out desks by 12:50 PM.
I used to go home for lunch which is ~10 min. each way, but it got to be a rat race and stressful to have to hurry so much. Now I pack my lunch and eat in the lunch room which is more relaxing. I only use about 1/2 my time to eat and the rest to answer e-mails or come to the Cove.:)

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
sonflowerinwales said:
Paul
For better or worse, I eat about 98% of my meals at my desk. Yes, I have quite the crumb collection in the keyboard, but since I am not allowed to operate a screwdriver (per union rules) I have not taken the back off and cleaned it out.

sonflowerinwales said:
I sometimes eat at my desk, but not often. Usually I get out of there and join a bunch of people for a bit of friendly banter, and then go back to my room, close the door and catch a nap for 15 - 20 mins. I punch out during lunch, so it's my choice...

/Claes

A

Al Dyer

The only problem I've had with people eating at their desk is when they consume corn beef and cabbage or somehting like a big plate of ribs dripping is sauce. Sometimes the aroma can be overpowering and the aroma lasts forever!

Al...

Top Bottom