Workmanship Standards and other Posters

I

ivan99

I need an opinion on posters that are really disguised work instructions and on workmanship standards that are also posted in the work environment. Do these posters need to be controlled documents??

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Welcome to the Cove, Ivan!

ivan99 said:

I need an opinion on posters that are really disguised work instructions and on workmanship standards that are also posted in the work environment. Do these posters need to be controlled documents??

My vote is yes because of a section within 4.2 "Documentation requirements." 4.2.1 d) states "The quality management system documentation shall include documents needed by the organization to ensure the effective planing, operation and control of its processes..."

You yourself called them work instructions (albeit disguised ones). To me, that implies that they are necessary for individuals to have access to when it comes to successfully completing their tasks.

Same thing for the workmanship standards. These (by the sounds of it) contain information vital to an individual's ability to complete their task.

The extent of control you take however, is up to you. Depending on the source of the workmanship standards, I'm tempted to call them External Documents. In our case, we list our External Documents, where they're posted, the release that is posted, and that's about it.

The work instructions (assuming they're developed by your people) would follow whatever internal document control process you have in place.

B

BobD

:bigwave: As one newbe to another...welcome

In answer to your question regarding controlling instructions...YES

A good rule of thumb of the type of documents requiring control are:
- specifications (including customer's specs)
- blueprints (including customer's prints)
- work instructions
- inspection instructions
- test procedures
- operation sheets

All such documentation should be dated & include a revision or release date (per your document control procedures). It is also a good idea to keep a "Master List" of such documents.

Hope I have been of some help.

A

Al Dyer

Does the poster explain explicably how to perform a job?
Is the poster listed in the policy/procedure manual as such?

I've seen posters in a bathroom that say don't forget to wash, is that a controlled instruction?

I've seen signs posted all over shops that say wear hats, ear protection, eyewear, hard soled shoes etc..., are they work instructions?

Let's keep it real people, if in doubt, call the regisrar or auditor!!:)

B

BobD

In my opinion...

If a poster provides general health & safety information related to the shop in general, then it does not need to be a controlled document. If however, the poster gives specific job assembly, process, or inspection information, then it should be controlled.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
the key is in the level of control. Typically a reference to where or who it came from is all that is needed...maybe the date. Write it into 'local control' portion of your doc conntrol....define what to control and how, what is required etc....i agree some stuff is just plain silly to control.

Top Bottom