Workplace Drug Testing in 2020

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Last night an acquaintance of mine told me she was randomly drug tested at work (she passed), but I recalled having read some reports that workplace drug tests aren't as accurate as many people think they are, especially considering all that is riding on the results of such a test. That crossed my mind when I got my last pre-employment drug test, but luckily I passed, too.

Many moons ago there was a thread here on drug and alcohol testing in the workplace. Alcohol and Drug Testing Policy - Evidence of effectiveness? Since that thread is over 16 years old, and many things have changed (like some states legalizing pot) and I didn't see anything newer, I figured I'd start a new thread.

Does your company do pre-employment drug testing? Random testing? Post-event testing (like after an accident)? Does it include pot? Does it weed-out (no pun intended) a lot of candidates? Do you do it because of regulatory requirements or for other reasons?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I have a couple of friends who worked for companies requiring drug tests. One is retired and one will retire in 4 months. Neither was asked to take a drug test after the pre-employment screen.

With regard to marijuana, there are 2 metabolites - Washington state has looked into it. I did see Marijuana Roadside Test Difficulties

I know hair is the longest lasting (and expensive to test thus rarely used) and blood is the most accurate 'instant' test.

I admit I haven't followed the state of the art of tests for marijuana, so I can't say much about that aspect.

My overall understanding is that most of the workplace drug testing was mostly knee jerk, in part because most jobs of significance (e.g.: airline, tow motor drivers, most medical personnel, etc.) were already covered by regulations. What I have read in general has been that marijuana is pretty much the only substance that lasts long enough to be tested for (with the exception of hair). I am not aware of any recent studies on effectiveness in the work place, but this 2016 article is OK: The Supreme Pointlessness of Drug Testing at Work
The evidence that it deters drug users and enhances efficiency at work is simply too thin. “There are many potential ... causes of poor productivity, such as family problems or emotional problems or dysfunctional personalities, that collectively have a stronger impact on employee outcomes than drug use per se,” says Frone.

RCH2016

Involved In Discussions
I had a false positive for pot several years ago on a random test. It took a week for the secondary testing to throw out the spot test. Next random test I get I am going to ask for the "nurse's" business card so I know where to send the lawsuit papers. No one should be forced to endure what I did for a week.

We do have preemployment testing, and, supposedly random testing, but it has been several years since we have had one of those. A decade and a half or so ago we did have some zombies on site, so at that time we had to do something, but a program like that can easily spin out of control, IMHO.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
You also might want to look at the effectiveness of drug testing for (what used to be called) welfare recipients. Most states have eliminated or reduced testing because the number of people testing positive was/is so low and it was costing more to test than their expected 'savings'. Politically, though, it is popular.

Most company drug testing started under Reagan (remember Say No to Drugs?). Like so many of these things, the potential/expected results have not met reality. I think of the words "political grandstanding". While some countries still have very severe penalties (e.g: Bali, Thailand, China) more and more countries are decriminalizing most drug use - Spain and Switzerland have successful decriminalization programs.

In companies, I think pre-employment may be somewhat effective (my guess), but again - I haven't seen recent numbers either way.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
In my area, i would say 99% of manufacturing jobs require at least a pre-employment screening. Most around here will test randomly and post-incident as well. As for how effective a pre-screening is, I'm not really sure. With people knowing a pre-screen will be required, how many will discontinue use for a week prior? Would that technically be a false negative?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
In my own experience, I think that alcohol abuse is a bigger workplace issue than drugs, especially weed. Most companies use saliva testing for drugs, which works for up to 48 hours after exposure.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
In my area, i would say 99% of manufacturing jobs require at least a pre-employment screening. Most around here will test randomly and post-incident as well. As for how effective a pre-screening is, I'm not really sure. With people knowing a pre-screen will be required, how many will discontinue use for a week prior? Would that technically be a false negative?
Part of the reason I believe pre-screening might be somewhat effect is that anyone not smart enough, or just plain too lazy not to 'prepare' would be screened out (the worst of the worst).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
John Broomfield Workplace by Facebook - Any other organizations using this collaborative tool? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
R The formation of Leadership in the Workplace Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Sidney Vianna Guidance on Management of Psychosocial Risks in the Workplace Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
G Assessment Form for Workspace & Workplace Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Controlling Flow Charts that are hung in workplace. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
somashekar The REDACTED Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
Scott Catron Communication in the Workplace Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
V Advantages of Training Employees about Health and Safety at the Workplace Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 19
Z A 5S (Workplace Organization Methodology) Christmas Poem Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Z New GHS-aligned HazCom 2012 rules for Chemical Labeling in the Workplace Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
M Safety in the Workplace Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 16
Jen Kirley Valentine's Day in the Workplace The Reading Room 2
K What Drives Motivation in the Modern Workplace? Career and Occupation Discussions 3
A Safety Culture in Top Management - The Workplace Safety & Health Act Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
J Webinar: Positive Changes in Workplace Culture The Reading Room 0
Wes Bucey Sometimes life just isn't fair! -"workplace drones" Career and Occupation Discussions 45
Wes Bucey What makes a "good workplace?" Career and Occupation Discussions 16
L Auditing Information Technology (IT) in the ISO 9001 workplace Internal Auditing 15
Bilijaf Internal Auditing of a Process or Workplace? OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
P Coaching in the Workplace Career and Occupation Discussions 20
Jen Kirley Slaying Workplace Safety Costs The Reading Room 4
DanteCaspian 5S Workplace Average for those that score 5 S Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
P Color Coding of Tools for 5S - The Visual Workplace Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 22
C Workplace Ethics PowerPoint .ppt presentation or other format wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
N Template for reporting Workplace Accidents and Dangerous Occurrences Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 11
Marc Weirdest Workplace Disputes World News 11
L Article on Top 5 Workplace Myths Career and Occupation Discussions 7
M Does ISO 9001 have anything to do with Workplace Safety? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 72
A Overcoming Obstacles to Effective Communications in the Workplace Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
Marc Absenteeism in U.S. workplace hits highest level in years World News 13
E A new disease kicking around the workplace Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
J Free Warehouse Layout & Planning Guide and Facilities & Workplace Design guide Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
ScottK Foreign Languages in the workplace - can you stop it? Career and Occupation Discussions 14
ScottK Safety in the Workplace Award Winners Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
Wes Bucey Do you have good instincts in "workplace politics?" Career and Occupation Discussions 33
Tim Folkerts "Survivor" TV show as metaphor of the workplace Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 9
D Global Motors - Does your organization (workplace) receive government subsidies? World News 31
Wes Bucey Psychopaths in the workplace - Research confirms my suspicion World News 22
E 20 Keys for Workplace Improvement Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
howste RABQSA International - Certificate IV Assessment & Workplace Training ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7
J The 5s system, workplace organization and standardization -- Facilitators Guide Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
D CE Marked product considered a Drug in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Clinical trial - Medical device product not cleared (without FDA approval) in a drug trial Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
D Requirement of Pharmacovigilance (Drug Safety) Risk Based Strategic and Tactical Audit Plan General Auditing Discussions 0
V Informational EMA - Quality requirements for drug-device combinations EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational Health Canada – Drug and medical device highlights 2018: Helping you maintain and improve your health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K Comparator drug with Japanese label use in Clinical trials? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Do we need to validate Software used in Drug discovery and development process? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
O Validation approach for a Photostability Chamber (used for fluid therapy and injectable drug products) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
M Informational MHRA Guidance – Recommendations from the independent Expert Advisory Group on the use of Paclitaxel Drug-Coated Balloons (DCBs) and Drug-Eluting Stent Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0