World Wide Words

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
In this thread Icy Mountain tells about his son's impressive performance in a spelling bee, and running up against the obscure word "disafforest," which I had never encountered the word, but a little investigation led to my learning that in one sense it simply means "to clear a forest of trees," but in its original sense it has a legal connotation, that being the removal of an official designation of a protected forest. I mention this because A) I'm an insufferable word geek, and B) it affords an opportunity to introduce likeminded Covers to an excellent resource on the Web.

A British writer, lexicographer and etymologist named Michael Quinion operates a Website called World Wide Words in which all sorts of etymological gems may be found. Quinion describes the site as "...about international English from a British viewpoint." There is a very large searchable database of words both common and obscure, as well as articles, book reviews and humor. If you find the study of written and spoken English interesting, the site can keep you occupied for hours and serve as an excellent reference resource. Quinion also publishes a weekly e-mail newsletter that makes for great reading and edification. You can subscribe on the site, and I've attached the most recent edition as an example.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J
VEEEErrry INNteresting

I will have to investige this a bit further. When I get the Chance.:read:

James

Verrrrrry Innnnteresting!

I had a quick look and had to stop before my coworkers thought me mad for laughing out loud. Particularly a sentence from a review of the book "Roger's Profanisaurus Rex" on the website that included a definition for "Chumley warning". It took me a couple of seconds to decipher the Queen's English for "fussy nosher" but then I let loose with hysterics.

WARNING: If you are the type of First Amendment ignoramus that is easily offended by WORDS, do not go to World Wide Words. It is a site for the examination, explanation and study of WORDS, no holds barred.

If you are a First Amendment ignoramus:
The United States Bill of Rights. said:
The Ten Original Amendments to the Constitution of the United States
Passed by Congress September 25, 1789
Ratified December 15, 1791

I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

II
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

III
No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

V
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation.

VI
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

VII
In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury shall be otherwise re-examined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Dwile Thonking - an article I saw on World Wide Words Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 13
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion World wide energy demand will peak in the early 2030's Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
M Guidance for Medical Device Registration in Med Dev Regulations World-Wide Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 24
G ISO 9001 Worldwide Certification for a company with multiple world wide locations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Electronic IFU's on Class III and IV Medical Devices World Wide Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Marc 6 August 1991 - First page on the World Wide Web publicly available After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
bobdoering Nissan To Cut 20,000 Jobs World-Wide. World News 0
V Corporate TS 16949 system or not? Several production locations world wide IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Latest count of ISO 9001 Registration Certificates world wide ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
Antonio Vieira World Wide Certifed Power Plants study - ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
Y Internal Audits of All Facilities World Wide Before the Certification Audit Internal Auditing 9
Marc Your Local World Wide Weather - April 2006 to October 2006 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 33
Marc Your Local World Wide Weather - December - 2005 to April 2006 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 80
S Quality Conferences and Symposiums - We need a World Wide List Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Marc Your Local World Wide Weather - November - 2004 to April 2005 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 46
Y I need the latest ISO9001 registration data for all companies world wide ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Where I can find the number of companies registered to TS 16949 World Wide? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C How many companies world wide are registered to ISO 9001 and QS-9000? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
Marc The German Enigma Machine of World War II After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
S World Quality Day 2019, November 14 - Build Quality Awareness in the organization ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
D What foreign language proficiency would give the biggest edge to medical device regulatory affairs professionals in the world today or in future? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
P List of ISO certificate registrars around the world - ISO certification databases ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Sidney Vianna World Accreditation Day 2019 - consistent accreditation? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
Sidney Vianna Ombudsmen & ombudswomen of the world, REJOYCE! ISO 37002 is coming to facilitate standardized whistleblowing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
M FDA News FDA Safety communication – Interim Results of Duodenoscope Reprocessing Studies Conducted in Real-World Settings Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna ISO 13485 Certificates Distribution around the World - 2018 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F WHO (World Health Organisation) Requirements - Africa Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Forced NOT to meet End Customer Expectations - Corrupt Third World Country ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F In a Medical Device Manufacturer World Why ISO 9001 At All? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Looking for Cross Functional Matrix of Medical Device Regulations around the World Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
S Could the term "GMP" be used in a Medical Device world? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Marc The Most Remote and Beautiful Landscape in the World Is in Westfjords, Iceland Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Bev D Bev D at 2015 ASQ World Conference in Nashville Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
L Lean in the ISO9001:2015 World Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Ajit Basrur Six countries that make up half the world?s population Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
Ajit Basrur World Populations Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
Hershal Veggies around the world Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
S Stated Accuracy of Portable CMM Arm and Real World Use Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
Ajit Basrur World's oldest living man residing in Chhattisgarh (India) ? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
M TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) and Other World Toxicity Laws Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
Marc Scary Bridges around the World Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 11
Ajit Basrur China breaks world record for car sales in 2013 ! World News 1
Ajit Basrur This is the world?s best-designed pizza box ! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M ISO 9000 World Conference and Draft changes to new revision ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Ajit Basrur The World's Best Multinational Workplaces Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc Scientists discover world's earliest known brain World News 0
C Change Control in a SCRUM World Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
G How can Total Quality help a company or business compete in the world market? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
G WCM (World Class Manufacturing) and ISO 9001:2008: Differences and similarities Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T Is "World Class" Quality possible by Accident? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 18