Worried About Your Weight?

M

M Greenaway

Read this mind blowing link....
Front Page Mag said:
If the members of the American medical establishment were to have a collective find-yourself-standing-naked-in-Times-Square-type nightmare, this might be it. They spend 30 years ridiculing Robert Atkins, author of the phenomenally-best-selling ''Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution'' and ''Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution,'' accusing the Manhattan doctor of quackery and fraud, only to discover that the unrepentant Atkins was right all along. Or maybe it's this: they find that their very own dietary recommendations -- eat less fat and more carbohydrates -- are the cause of the rampaging epidemic of obesity in America. Or, just possibly this: they find out both of the above are true.

When Atkins first published his ''Diet Revolution'' in 1972, Americans were just coming to terms with the proposition that fat -- particularly the saturated fat of meat and dairy products -- was the primary nutritional evil in the American diet. Atkins managed to sell millions of copies of a book promising that we would lose weight eating steak, eggs and butter to our heart's desire, because it was the carbohydrates, the pasta, rice, bagels and sugar, that caused obesity and even heart disease. Fat, he said, was harmless.

Atkins allowed his readers to eat ''truly luxurious foods without limit,'' as he put it, ''lobster with butter sauce, steak with bearnaise sauce . . . bacon cheeseburgers,'' but allowed no starches or refined carbohydrates, which means no sugars or anything made from flour. Atkins banned even fruit juices, and permitted only a modicum of vegetables, although the latter were negotiable as the diet progressed.

Atkins was by no means the first to get rich pushing a high-fat diet that restricted carbohydrates, but he popularized it to an extent that the American Medical Association considered it a potential threat to our health. The A.M.A. attacked Atkins's diet as a ''bizarre regimen'' that advocated ''an unlimited intake of saturated fats and cholesterol-rich foods,'' and Atkins even had to defend his diet in Congressional hearings.

Thirty years later, America has become weirdly polarized on the subject of weight. On the one hand, we've been told with almost religious certainty by everyone from the surgeon general on down, and we have come to believe with almost religious certainty, that obesity is caused by the excessive consumption of fat, and that if we eat less fat we will lose weight and live longer. On the other, we have the ever-resilient message of Atkins and decades' worth of best-selling diet books, including ''The Zone,'' ''Sugar Busters'' and ''Protein Power'' to name a few. All push some variation of what scientists would call the alternative hypothesis: it's not the fat that makes us fat, but the carbohydrates, and if we eat less carbohydrates we will lose weight and live longer.

The perversity of this alternative hypothesis is that it identifies the cause of obesity as precisely those refined carbohydrates at the base of the famous Food Guide Pyramid -- the pasta, rice and bread -- that we are told should be the staple of our healthy low-fat diet, and then on the sugar or corn syrup in the soft drinks, fruit juices and sports drinks that we have taken to consuming in quantity if for no other reason than that they are fat free and so appear intrinsically healthy. While the low-fat-is-good-health dogma represents reality as we have come to know it, and the government has spent hundreds of millions of dollars in research trying to prove its worth, the low-carbohydrate message has been relegated to the realm of unscientific fantasy.

Read more....

D

David Mullins

Have y'all heard of a balanced diet with ADEQUATE exercise?

Aussie health guide:
Don't use milk on your cereal, use beer.
Chase young women well into your eighties.
If your dog is getting more action than you, kick the dog.
Anything involving drinking is exercise.
Drinking beer after strenuous exercise will actually enhance your performance.
If you're fitter than all your mates, let their wives know it.
Smoking may kill you, but so will the stress if you don't.
Red meat is good for you, but make sure you cook the thing - stay away from ANYTHING that is bleeding.
And if your kids are under 16 and can out run you your life is over.

N

Neil

Opposing arguments

I came across this link:

***DEAD LINK REMOVED*** which argues against the high fat-low carb diets.

It appears that the only safe way to lose weight is to eat a sensible balanced diet, exercise regularly and count calories. It all comes down do the simple equation; do you or don't you burn more calories than you take in. HEAVY sigh... ;)

Memo to medical research. We need a miracle safe weight loss drug NOW!

But seriously, have you been to the primary schools or the beach lately? The number of very over weight children and teens is appalling. North America has a health crisis in the making.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

M Greenaway

I heard that approximately 50% were above the average body weight - what about that !

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
M Greenaway said:

I heard that approximately 50% were above the average body weight - what about that !

Well, if I were a typical politician I'd say, with much pomposity and bluster, "This is a result of the other party's lack of leadership on this issue! MY PLAN will address this problem immediately! It is apalling that 50% of Americans are above the average weight!"
:vfunny:

E

energy

Grand Theft

Now that we showed the tobacco companies a thing or two, states will now be able to file class action suits against the Fast Food industries to fill their coffers. Like smoking, nobody forced that Big Mac loaded with "fat feeders" down their children's throat, topped off by the giant make believe milkshake. They bought it, ate it and now want compensation because they weren't told it would make them weigh 350 lbs instead of 325lbs.
Tsk Tsk
Hey Mike, and they ask me why I drink!:biglaugh: :ko: :smokin:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
It gets worse...

Yeah, Energy, but it gets worse. Speaking of drinking...

Not only are the money-grubbing lawyers like Peter Angelos and his ilk gonna go after fast food places and other manufacturers of "unhealthy" foods, they are gonna go after alcoholic beverage manufacturers, too. Deep pockets!

They have already tried suing firearm manufacturers to hold them liable for the actions of punks and creeps who use them to rob, assault, and murder people. Thankfully, so far all or almost all of these goofy suits against gun manufacturers (often brought by big cities!) have been tossed out of court, but it costs big bucks to just defend yourself against these rediculous, frivolous suits, so damage is still done to the innocent companies nonetheless. If they're ever successful I'd say next they should go after Ford, GM, Chrysler, et. al. (more deep pockets!) whenever a drunk or negligent driver, driving one of their vehicles, kills someone. The idea of personal responsibility is being replaced by blame-placing everywhere but where it belongs. It makes me sick.

End of rant.

Randy

Super Moderator
Maybe we ought to all sue the doctors that slapped our A - - when we were born for delivering us into this mess :biglaugh:

J

JodiB

This whole lawsuit thing has gone overboard. I'm so sick of it. Have ya'll seen the commercial that has a dollar amount ring up on the screen for commonly purchased consumer goods? The dollar ( or cents) amount is the portion of the cost of the item that can be attributed to the company defending frivolous lawsuits. Brilliant.

When I was a senior in high school, everyone in my english class had to write a paper for the Voice of Democracy contest sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The theme was "My responsibility to America". My paper was written as a condemnation of our lawsuit-happy society, and my responsibility to America was to act responsibly and take responsibility for my own actions. It won at the school level, at district, and at regional. I used it as the talent portion for the Jr. Miss America competition and won a 2 year college scholarship. (well actually they tell me it was the wetsuit that I wore while I gave the speech that did it....
:vfunny: )

That was...a few.... years ago, and nothing has changed here except to have gotten worse. People will sue you for anything and are only out to get the easy money. There is a serious lack of personal pride. That's what it boils down to. If you have pride in yourself, there is no way you could file such a lawsuit. Geez, I would be mortified to say that I was so ignorant that I didn't know a McDonald's burger would make me fat! Or a hot coffee between my legs would burn my ...legs.

Top Bottom