Would you leave the Quality Assurance profession given the option?

Would You Leave the Quality Assurance Profession Given the Option?

• I would leave skid marks clearing my office!

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Only for more money

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • If I could make the same money in another field

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • I am deliriously happy in quality assurance!

Votes: 16 19.5%

• Total voters
T

tarheel

After browsing for awhile, it seems there is a consistent tone of frustration in most threads. It prompts me to post a poll :thedeal:

D

db

Happy.....but

I love my job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I know that with my skills and abilities, I could excel anywhere (the greeter at Wal-Mart, for example). I have two simple rules for success. First is to do my best under all circumstances. I have a hierarchy that begins with God, then my family, then my profession, then my industry, then my employer and ends with me. I make this hierarchy well known, and have never had a boss attempt to circumvent it. The second rule is actually from the title of a book: “Pain is inevitable, misery is a choice”.

If I do my best, under all circumstance and I deny misery, then I will be joyful in all I do. After all happiness is ruled by the external, joy by the internal.

The motivational speech is now concluded.

D

David Mullins

surely you jest

And give up all this?

How much does it pay?

E

energy

Re: Would you leave quality given the option?

tarheel said:

After browsing for awhile, it seems there is a consistent tone of frustration in most threads. It prompts me to post a poll :thedeal:

Your choices show that there is possibly consistent tone of frustration on your end. The only positive choice for someone to express satisfaction is "Deliriously happy". That's a negative answer, also. So, I can't vote. Try "Very satisfied" or "Satisfied". I was delirious once from a reaction to Penicillin.
:ko: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do what I do because I want to do it..

Well, that rather depends on the option, doesn't it?

Actually, I'm quite happy doing what I do. Of course I get frustrated every now and then, but show me a profession where that doesn't happen...

Still, that doesn't mean that any other job is out of the question. I'm interested in many other areas, and I could certainly consider a change if something interesting comes up. Why limit yourself? It would have to be good, though...

No, I didn't vote. My alternative isn't there.

/Claes:p

Last edited:
M

M Greenaway

Can you smell my rubber burning.

I get no satisfaction what so ever from this profession.

M

M Greenaway

Jim

I think the question was aimed at the profession, not the ideology.

I would like to think that I will always be a 'quality' person, perfectionist even - maybe thats the problem.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Claes Gefvenberg said:

Well, that rather depends on the option, doesn't it?

Actually, I'm quite happy doing what I do. Of course I get frustrated every now and then, but show me a profession where that doesn't happen...

Still, that doesn't mean that any other job is out of the question. I'm interested in many other areas, and I could certainly consider a change if something interesting comes up. Why limit yourself? It would have to be good, though...

No, I didn't vote. My alternative isn't there.

/Claes:p

Ah, Claes, I wasn't as strong as you. I saw a poll and felt compelled to vote, but I agree with you...my preferred option was not there.

I love what I do. My father exposed me to ISO and Quality during suppertime conversations while I was in high school and instilled in me many of the associated philosophies (e.g., OTIS - On Time and In Spec).

However, do I see myself in Quality for the rest of life? There are many days when I wonder when I will get out for good behaviour and then there are days when I wouldn't consider leaving. As a minimum, I want to expand my skills to involve the EMS (just beginning to do that) and Health & Safety.

As a student pilot though who is being strongly encouraged by her Chief Flying Instructor to go for her commercial license and as someone who wants to get her MBA, there are still many options out there.

I suppose the first thing I should do, though, is grow up....but who wants to do that ?!?!:biglaugh:

L

Laura M

I would teach - in the field of stats, preferably.

Ideally, we should all do something different. That means quality has been incorporated to the rest of the functions, and we are not needed. Ah yes, in another life.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Laura M said:

I would teach - in the field of stats, preferably.

Ideally, we should all do something different. That means quality has been incorporated to the rest of the functions, and we are not needed. Ah yes, in another life.

I suppose you're right, Laura, about the function of quality people. I was always told that QA should work with the end goal being that QA has no more work to do...in other words, work to put ourselves out of a job. Rather depressing when I think about it, which is why I want to branch out into fields such as EMS, H&S, and even aerospace standards. I contemplated going into law for a while, but my family promptly informed me that I'd be disowned if I became a lawyer. :D

As for teaching, though, don't think I could handle that. I love the training aspect of my job, but that's different. A few days with a small group, lots of case studies, role playing, and some lecturing. Actual teaching would drive me insane...but the summers off would be appreciated! ;)

Top Bottom