Wrist Actigraph Device - IEC 60601-1 general questions

L

luisf.rossi

Hi,

We are certifying a wrist actigraph device and we have some doubts regarding IEC 60601-1 due to the simplicity of the device.

Should the electrical schematic be just a logical schematic or the real one with all electronic components soldered in the Main Board with PNs and values?

What is the detail level of the Critical Component List? Would be like: Battery, processor, accelerometer, memory? Or like electronic board?

How can I create an insulation Diagram? It is a battery powered device that is wrist worn ...

Thank you for the help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Could you site the 60601-1 clauses in question? I did a quick search of the standard for "schematic", "critical component" and "insulation diagram", and got no results....

By "Electrical Schematic", I presume you mean what is referred to as "Circuit Diagram" in the standard? If so, then yes, this will have to be the detailed version (the "real one") in order to be assessed properly.
(NOTE: except for the clause on servicing, 7.9.3.3, there is no other requirement that I can see for providing a parts list with part-numbers).

By "Critical Components", do you mean "Components with High-Integrity Characteristics" (IEC60601-1, 3.17 & 4.9). If so, the definition is in 3.17.
This can be easily interpreted as "everything", because nearly everything has a purpose, but I don't think this is the intent. Because the standard specifically says "...in relation to the safety requirements....", I think the intent is to identify the components that have non-negligible risk associated, or are themselves risk-controls, as would have been identified in your risk analysis documentation.

I have no knowledge of insulation diagrams, but again, doing a quick search, I can't see anywhere in the IEC 60601-1 standard calling for these...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crusader Ugh, broke my left wrist! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
L Calibration of ESD Wrist Strap Tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
A How to determine an ESD wrist strap's life span? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M Tasked with Raising Quality Awareness - Metrics to apply - Identification wrist bands Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
J Meeting 100% compliance in wrist strap testing - ESD (Elecro-Static Discharge) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 27
A How can we change a device trade name in 510(k) summary? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
N Medical device name in different countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Issues with leakage current testing for a CLASS II device since no PE and FE is present IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
V Medical Device Literature Translation Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Are you allowed to reuse the same asset number if the device was replaced? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G ISO 13485 Certification - Can we get the ISO 13485 certification prior to shipment of the device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Med Device Class for a Service Organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Z Over The Air (OTA) updates for medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
H Tukery Medical Device Regulstion Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J UDI-DI how should we interpret Device version or model to determine if a new UDI-DI is needed? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T Device & Accessory, Components in device, or System EU Medical Device Regulations 0
shimonv Clinical evaluation report for class I device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P UDI-PI requirements on reusable surgical device, do we need serialisation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Medical device certificate in Australia - ARTG certificate Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Q Software as a medical device vs software not sold as medical device: local regulations for sale? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Medical device Product Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A Can a power Supply be an accessory to a medical device, if it is an 'off-the-shelf' product. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
A Medical device labelling Date of manufacture US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W Non Sterile Medical Device Environmental Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Clinical assessment sample size - Medical device Class IIb implantable (93/42 directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K 25-year lifetime of medical device - document storage period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Sample record for verification performed by importers before placing a device on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S IVD Device History Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Relabeling an existing medical device in the field? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Reliable sources for following EU medical device regulatory EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T IVDR Medical device software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K How to handle GTINs for different configurations of one device with one part number? Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
J Requirements as a Distributor for Incoming Inspection of Purchased Finished Medical Device Medical Device Related Regulations 0
S Microwave medical waste disinfectant - A medical device or not? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
S Registration of Medical Device in Hong Kong - labeling requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
V Software as medical device (SaMD) replicated for multiple clients through APIs IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
M Is the output of a device a Medical Device? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
C Multiple owners for one listed device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
P Do we need to retrospectively use the "MD" symbol (indicating device is a medical device) on labels, e.g. finished devices within expiration date? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Promoting and marketing of a non approved device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B Russian Device to US US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
L Medical device registration in Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S DHF/DMR/MDF for a software-only, cloud-based, single-instance device Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
V MDSAP Requirements for Device Designer Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
J Biocompatbility testing on Class 1 device requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
H EU CE marking for Medical Device Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E Procedure ( SOP) for Device Master Record ( DMR ) and for Device History Record (DHR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1