Writing a Process Document - Who, what, when, where, and how

D

dbulak

Some time ago I came across some information on writing a process. It began with who, what, when, where, and how how.
Can anyone remember where it came from? and better yet where I can find it again? I have searched but no luck.

D

dbulak

process

I did not mean to be misleading, but instead of flow charting processes, they want to describe them in narrative-which I understand is acceptable. Any giude lines to writing processes in narrative?

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: process

dbulak said:

I did not mean to be misleading, but instead of flow charting processes, they want to describe them in narrative-which I understand is acceptable. Any giude lines to writing processes in narrative?

Yep....Get a lot of paper and a large supply of ink.

Why would you want to do this? It's similar to writing what you see as compared to taking a picture of what you see (you know, a picture is worth a thousand words and all that).

Ask yourself, "Is this efficient and effective?"

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Narrative is fine -- sometimes the best way to go. I start with a purpose, scope, reference document list, and then the procedure. (I have a title, document number and rev. level, date, and "page X of Y" in the header/footer areas, and a place for approval, reason for revision, and distribution list.)

In the "meat" I try to answer, as applicable, how to do it, who is responsible, what equipment is needed, safety issues, troubleshooting, maintenance issues, control methods, what to do or whom to see if problems/questions arise, what records are needed, what training/certifications is required, and a few other things I am probably forgetting.

Gotta run now, but if you have other questiond please feel free to ask.

Top Bottom