SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Written process that is ineffective as evidenced by multiple interpretations

M

METerry

I am struggling with a written process that appears to be ineffective as evidenced by multiple interpretations. I cannot document a non conformance (other than the lack of effectiveness for the multiple interpretations) but my gut feel is that there is a nc here. My question is, "What clause would be referenced?". The counter argument is that since there are no non conformities, it must be effective.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Now I'm confused.:confused:

If you are auditing, your interpretation should lead to the finding (is there evidence for what's in the procedure?).

What area/process is this, and where is the different intrepretations coming into play?

They're either doing what's written in the procedure, or they're not.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I am struggling with a written process that appears to be ineffective as evidenced by multiple interpretations. I cannot document a non conformance (other than the lack of effectiveness for the multiple interpretations) but my gut feel is that there is a nc here. My question is, "What clause would be referenced?". The counter argument is that since there are no non conformities, it must be effective.
I, for one, need more detail to make a meaningful comment. How about an example to show us how it might get more than one interpretation?

B

Benjamin28

Are the same tools being used? Are all requirements of the method satisfied? Is the end result the same?

It sounds to me that what you've found is not a nonconformance but an opportunity for improvement by standardizing your procedure so that the method of application is consistent and variabililty is taken out of the equation.

Jemos

Starting to get Involved
Give more details as we cannot conclude with the information you have posted. What are the intepretations? This will enable us see it in a better way.

M

M Greenaway

I think what the poster is saying is that they have created some process diagrams however when different people read them they interpret them differently.

This is a problem with process diagrams (maps, flowcharts, etc) in that they tend to largely only make clear sense to the author, or the team involved in their creation, this is largely due to the fact that these diagrams tend to be quite abstract, with no real conventions of grammar or syntax that you would get if you simply wrote down in words what you processes were. We all understand words, punctuation and grammer (to varying degrees admittedly) however can generally read the same document and get the same understanding (ISO9001 excluded - ha just a joke I think !), but pictures are another matter.

What I try to do is stick, albeit rather loosely, to IDEF0 conventions when process mapping, and try to make them all look the same, e.g. run from right to left, top to bottom, etc.

As to the actual question it would only be a problem if the users interpretations lead them to do things differently that resulted in the incorrect output of the process, or lets say missed a vital regulatory element or control point in the process. The nonconformity would then be raised on the resultant problem of varying interpretation, such as missed off widget X, root cause may indicate the process document is ambiguous, and corrective action would be to improve the process definition, or better still fool proof the process itself.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I think what the poster is saying is that they have created some process diagrams however when different people read them they interpret them differently.

This is a problem with process diagrams (maps, flowcharts, etc) in that they tend to largely only make clear sense to the author, or the team involved in their creation, this is largely due to the fact that these diagrams tend to be quite abstract, with no real conventions of grammar or syntax that you would get if you simply wrote down in words what you processes were. We all understand words, punctuation and grammer (to varying degrees admittedly) however can generally read the same document and get the same understanding (ISO9001 excluded - ha just a joke I think !), but pictures are another matter.

What I try to do is stick, albeit rather loosely, to IDEF0 conventions when process mapping, and try to make them all look the same, e.g. run from right to left, top to bottom, etc.

As to the actual question it would only be a problem if the users interpretations lead them to do things differently that resulted in the incorrect output of the process, or lets say missed a vital regulatory element or control point in the process. The nonconformity would then be raised on the resultant problem of varying interpretation, such as missed off widget X, root cause may indicate the process document is ambiguous, and corrective action would be to improve the process definition, or better still fool proof the process itself.
I agree. :applause:

If a process is not accurately or adequately being represented in its directive, or is not being followed because the directive (procedure, process spec, etc) is unclear, too wordy or technical, and so on, it's not a trivial matter. A NC should be made to more closely align the directive to the process. If needed, the process owner should get the audit team's help or guidance into how an effective directive would look.

A number of causes could be afoot, among them:

1. Directive is written in engineer-speak and is needs interpretation by its users.

2. Reading comprehension skills varies in the users, for solvable reasons or due to learning disabilities or language processing disorders like dyslexia.

3. The directive is too dense for on-station practical use.

4. Personnel do not engage the discipline to use the directive.

Each of these examples would need different approaches to solve the problem, which (I can't tell from here) is either the process document does not match the process, or the document is just inappropriate for the need.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
If there's no way to rewrite the document to remove ambiguity, you can provide what ISO calls a "sanctioned" interpretation. In other words, if there are multiple interpretations, and only one of them is "correct," you can list the "incorrect" interpretations and explicitly describe them as incorrect (along with the accepted interpretation, of course.

There will always be nitpickers who will attempt to apply their own interpretations regardless of having been told that they are wrong, and regardless of how explicit and clear the documentation is. Those people should be dealt with individually, and documentation shouldn't be changed to account for spurious or self-serving interpretations.

Added in edit: You can also do training. :D

M

M Greenaway

I think the question was more to do with what is the effect of multiple interpretations. If you can see it leads to increased process output variation lets say, then hang your issue on that, i.e. increased process variation.

Simple, I think, or maye its just me.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Change Management written process... is this mandatory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
H Combining a Process Map and Written Procedure Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 44
A Has anyone ever written a Quoting Process? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
I Policy & objectives for processes - Written process for policy/objective/goal setting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T ISO 13485 - Assembly instructions written vs. online ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Electronic and hand-written footnotes for GDP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
D Does every piece of equipment used in a laboratory need to have an IQ protocol written and executed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J ISO 13485 Audit Nonconformance written against 6.3 Infrastructure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
S Formal written response to a corrective action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
L Part 11 Certified to legally binding of hand written signatures Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
R Importance of Written Procedures in ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
H Most Poorly Written FDA Warning Letter Ever? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A HSE Written Procedure Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
E Can corrective actions be written by and resolved by the same person? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
F Pre-written Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) rant! Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 13
S Auditing TS16949 Competency Requirment (No Written Procedure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Test Report written by hand or electronically ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Marc How is Happy Birthday written in your language? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
L Written Supervisory Procedures - Internal Audit Checklist Questions Internal Auditing 2
D cGMP "Written Procedure" Definition US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A Production Drawings with Written Work Procedures on them Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
K Procedures and Quality Manual written - Where next? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
R Documentation Review Matrix to track all documents written by my QA engineers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K An article written for/by a translation services company per MDD 2007/47/ec EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M CAPA Operating Procedure - Flow Chart or Written Out? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Identifying "or equivalent" Test Equipment when written in a Procedure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
U Frequency of Incidents (written-up occurrence of a specific error) Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Book / Tutorial written by a third party for Mitutoyo MCOSMOS software Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
M Original written signatures vs. Copies/scans/faxes/electronic documents US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 24
B Quality & Lean Written Quiz on terms and defintion of Quality and Lean Manufacturing Software Quality Assurance 8
L How to audit a department without a written procedure? General Auditing Discussions 11
L Original Documentation - Need to maintain any original hand written documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
MarilynJ6354 Preventive Action Requirements - Do we need a written requirement? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 19
N Written Test for a Receiving Inspector Candidate needed Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M ISO 9001 Audit Concern about Written Job Scope & Responsibility for Employee? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Corrective action against the auditing agency? Written contract is in error AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
E Written examination in Lean Production for students studying "production engineering" Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
Le Chiffre Is a written procedure required for handling significant change? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A Reliability and Maintainabilty plan - Example on how a R&M should be written Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
Antonio Vieira Totally against written procedures! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 39
K Has anyone ever written a non conformance against their registrar? Their reaction? Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
R What is Objective Evidence in an Audit? Written? Visual? Both? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
R Quality / acronyms brainteaser - Awkward transitions from written to spoken Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
T Survey - What is the demand of Pre-written/ready-to-use calibration procedures? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
M Advertising - Trucks with ISO9002, TS16949, ISO14001, & QS9000 written on them IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Nonconformance reports written only through internal audit findings? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
S Audit Reports - Typed or Hand Written? General Auditing Discussions 9
T Element 4.5 - Hand written correction to a controlled component drawing? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1