"X-MR charts do not separate piece-to-piece repeatability of the process"

S

stm08007

Hello,

Still studying for the CQE and have another basic question that I am getting hung up on. When the Primer talks about pros and cons of X-MR control charts (relative to other control charts), one negative is that they do not separate piece-to-piece variation... To me, they do this more than any other chart since they are literally telling you a moving range and the actual measured value of two subsequent pieces.

Does anyone understand this statement?

Slim Pickins

Starting to get Involved
If you were to measure one piece every two hours and chart it, you can see the long term process variation (X-MR). IF you were to measure 5 pieces every two hours you would be able to see the short (part to part) and long term variation. (XbarR)

S

stm08007

If you were to measure one piece every two hours and chart it, you can see the long term process variation (X-MR). IF you were to measure 5 pieces every two hours you would be able to see the short (part to part) and long term variation. (XbarR)
Ah that's kind of what I was thinking, though the book seemed to imply that X-MR was used when there were not many data points (i.e. 5 pieces are built each hour and every part is checked)-- if that was the case, I assume you would see the short part-to-part variation. Your answer makes sense though!

Top Bottom