Y2K Software

J

Jason

Marc.... thanks for ansewering my question of Y2K is such a big deal... that, I basically knew... Now, my question is: How do we know if our software is Y2K compliant? As you stated, there is a lot of software out there who claims to be Y2K compliant, but is not fully Y2K compliant or still have some gliches... that's the interpretation that I got... I believe many of us use Microsoft Office 97 package to write & calculate all our ISO/QS procedures....but as you said, Microsoft has one of the biggest problems... I I go ask them, they'll tell me that they have this problem under control... How will I know if my software is "really" compliant & they are not bullshitting me? Is there any software that we can install to resolve this problem?

Thanks again...

------------------
Jason M.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I really don't know the details about Microsoft stuff. I wouldn't worry, though. I believe they have 'fixes' out now. It's a matter of the software application not being 'truely' compliant, but at issue is will the fix work for you which I am sure it (they) will. I recon that for the most part every 2 to 3 years I upgrade 'significant' software so I myself am not concerned. I don't have spreadsheets with complicated formula nor do I have any with date calculation functions nor do I have any files where birth dates or 'far reaching' dates are needed or used. And - I have a Mac - so the issure is, for the most part, a moot issue to me.

How will I know if my software is "really" compliant & they are not bullshitting me? Is there any software that we can install to resolve this problem?
Well, I know there are at least 3 software packages out for PCs, but as I said in my post in the other thread, as far as I understand them they look at data files and determine if there *may* be a problem.

Try going to:

http://www.infoworld.com

and doing a search.

And there are a bunch of Y2K sites out there as well. I would bet there are advertisements for the software. Just read 'performance claims' well to ensure what the software will actually do. Again, as I understand them, they simply flag possible data files problems. They aren't 'fixed' or anything, just flagged (you get a listing of 'possible' problem files.

Remember, Y2K is not my forte - nor am I a programmer. If you're worried about important files and programs, check with the folks whose software you have (such as Microsoft). Personally, being a Mac person I don't worry about year 2000 in so far as my personal computer situation goes. And I don't believe everything, if much of anything, will 'fault' on 1 January 2000 or on 1 January 2001 nationally or internationally. I figure credit cards, air travel, grocery stores, gasoline pumps and all that will go right on cooking.

Y2K problems are over blown.

I rest with one cavat - it's 1999. Any company which hasn't got a handle on this issue by now is just plain - well, it's getting late in the game, my friend.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
BTW - A recent Scientific American has a great article in the Y2K 'problem'.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J QS9000 Software - Y2K QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
S Y2K - A Christmas Poem After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Y2K and the AIAG After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Y2K books or websites After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 11
Howard Atkins Would an FMEA have Prevented the Y2K problem? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
J Can anyone tell me how Y2K is such a big deal? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc ISO 9001 and Y2K Issues in IT - Optimizing Processes After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Y2K - Whose Fault? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
R Y2K News Website After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Let The Lawsuits Begin! Lawsuit could set crucial Y2K precedent World News 3
Marc Y2K Web Sites After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
K Software Updates in the Field and ISO scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
M Recurrent event analysis software (python) General Auditing Discussions 2
Y UL 1998 Standard: software classes Software Quality Assurance 0
P Need a programmer for QVI's VMS software for optical inspection machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S IEC 62304 software costs and time Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
S IEC 62304 - Software verification cost IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
Sravan Manchikanti Software Risk Management & probability of occurrence as per IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
I Form templates for software (iso9001) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
H Software Interface Translation IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M IEC 62304 Software changes - Minor labeling changes on the GUI IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
silentmonkey Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S Manufacturing Execution Systems Software Costs Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S HIPAA-compliant monitoring software (advice needed) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
A Software bug fixes after shipping a product EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Medical software Patient outcome Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
Y We are Looking for EASA LOA TYPE 1 experienced software developer Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
F Grand Avenue Software, Q-Pulse or Qualio - which for a full eQMS? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
K SOUP (Software of Unknown Provenance) Anomaly Documentation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
I Old Time Scatter diagrams for defect type and location- software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C Is my software an accessory? Telecommunication between HCP and patients EU Medical Device Regulations 10
K Verify Software Architecture - supporting interfaces between items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
A Risk Number for each software requirement IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Software User Interface Languages for LVD and IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B ISO 14971 Applied to Software ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2