Y2K - Whose Fault?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Subject: Q: Y2K Issue in IT /Cottier
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 09:22:08 -0600

Subject: Q: Y2K Issue in IT /Cottier

I find it interesting in applying some quality management principles and perspectives to the Y2K panic. Especially when so many organisations are relying so much on I.T. I would suggest that this Y2K situation is an indicator of some fundamental control issues associated with the use and deployment of I.T. for instance:

1) The situation was caused, apparently, by programmers who made their own decision regarding the date format. This sounds like allowing a riveter on the Titanic to select their own rivets! (Design & Process Control?)

2) It appears that no one seems to know the extent the problem within a specific organisation. We don't know where these rivets were used!(Traceability, Documentation etc?)

3) It seems a little late in the day to suddenly escalate this issue into the management area with its associated strategic and global implications. After all the end of the century is not a secret to anyone and maybe it should have been addressed much earlier. (Preventive and Corrective action?)

Any comments or opinions from the group?

Francis Cottier - [email protected]
Innovation Business Services
http://fox.nstn.ca/~cottier/ibs.html
Napanee, Ontario, Canada

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Subject: Re: Q: Y2K Issue in IT /Cottier/Ennis

Ref:
>>>I find it interesting in applying some quality management principles and perspectives to the Y2K panic. Especially when so many organizations are relying so much on I.T. I would suggest that this Y2K situation is an indicator of some fundamental control issues associated with the use and deployment of I.T. for instance:<<<<<

Interesting approach. However I see the Y2K issue slightly differently.

1960: Programmer / Designer (40 years ago) : "Hey, you know that in 40 years from now, this system will not be able to handle the year 2000 as a valid date."

Management: " Thats 35 years past its warrantee and 20 years past my retirement. Also the fix would add 15 percent to the cost of the machine. We cannot afford that. Anyway, by then the new machines will have that problem fixed."

1985 Programer / Designer: : "Hey, you know that in 15 years from now, this system will not be able to handle the year 2000 as a valid date."

Management: " Thats 14 years past its warrantee and 5 years past my retirement. Also the fix would add 5 percent to the cost of the machine. We cannot afford that. Anyway, by then the new machines will have that problem fixed."

Programer / Designer: : "Hey, you know that in 5 years from now, this system will not be able to handle the year 2000 as a valid date."

Management: " Thats 4 years past its warrantee and I will be working somewhere else then. Also the fix would add 1 percent to the cost of the machine. We cannot afford that. Anyway, by then the new machines will have that problem fixed."

1998 December

MIS person: "I am telling you that half of your computers will not work correctly come Jan 2000. I know you saved 20 percent when you bought them but we will be spending the next 9 months trying to determine and fix the various problems that will be caused by this bug"

Its not an easy decision. When do you spend extra money and make a product that will last longer than the warrantee? But the buyer must also spend with open eyes. Just because its cheaper does not mean its always a better buy.

Just my humble 2 percent.

Norm Ennis.

Anyway, there is always tomorrow to fix those problems, right?

R

Roger Eastin

Great snippos. I'll grant you that back in 1960, it would've been tough to sell management on the Y2K issue. However, in 1985 or, certainly 1995, the depth of the problem could've been seen. As Mr. Enis points out, though, our short term vision (even though our vision may be 15 years away) hurts us. (By 1985, the Y2K issue must have been huge!) It does go back to our inability to act on something if it doesn't look "cost effective". This is an age old problem...as the phrase goes "One thing you learn from history is that we don't learn from history.". We need management supported by a management system that can look long term and take action long before a Y2K problem occurs.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Marc,

Good articles. Entertaining and accurate.

Roger,

I wonder if management realized the year 2000 issue in 1985? You are right to point out management's short-sightedness. You're probably right that they did know then, but the system did not allow them to plan that far ahead. When the management system is run by financiers, price pervails, quality and stabiity suffer in the longterm. After all, our investers are only interested in the short-term, right? We all won't live forever, so live for the moment and leave the problems for the next generation. Human procrastination. Good historical quote. Here's another: Those that do not learn from history are condemned to relive it.

To the topic; Whose fault? The system giveth, the system taketh away. We made the problem and we will fix it. Will we learn anything? I hope so.

What we need is a new purpose and management philosophy (my own projection here).

To the bottom line (financiers jargon); Who will pay? All of us.

R

Roger Eastin

Pay we will...check out the federal news website on Y2K work and you'll see that the our government will spend at least 3.4 billion dollars on the problem. Now the government can throw around figures like that and think nothing of it, but think of what we could be doing with that money!!! And to think, that 3.4 billion dollars is only the tip of the iceberg....makes you wonder what other "Y2K"-type problems are out there that we are doing nothing about. Hopefully, we are getting smarter, although I want to say "NOT!"

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I just KNEW back in the mid-70's I should have majored in computer science... I'd be a rich fella right now...

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Kevin, I didn't realize you've been visiting here this long. Do you remember these old posts?

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by Marc Smith
I just KNEW back in the mid-70's I should have majored in computer science... I'd be a rich fella right now...
Or.... Maybe not considering things as they now are.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Y2K - A Christmas Poem After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Y2K and the AIAG After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Y2K books or websites After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 11
Howard Atkins Would an FMEA have Prevented the Y2K problem? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
J Y2K Software After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
J Can anyone tell me how Y2K is such a big deal? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
J QS9000 Software - Y2K QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
Marc ISO 9001 and Y2K Issues in IT - Optimizing Processes After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Y2K News Website After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Let The Lawsuits Begin! Lawsuit could set crucial Y2K precedent World News 3
Marc Y2K Web Sites After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
S Whose responsibility is it to issue Corrective Action Requests? Internal Auditing 8
Y How can FDA supervise devices whose manufacturer name is changed US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
H AIAG CQI-11, 12, 15 and 17 - Whose requirements are these? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 10
Q Whose brain child is 5S? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
hogheavenfarm Whose job? What department schedules a PSI (pre shipment inspection)? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S Whose company achieved their 2008 goals? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Wes Bucey Whose responsibility for injury? World News 9
CalRich Subcontracted laboratory per 5.10.6 - Whose name goes on the Calibration Certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Whose responsibility is Data Analysis - ISO 9001 QMS responsibility? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Product / Service Life Cycle Quality - Whose Responsibility to Sort, etc.? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
N Whose fault is it? Our quality department gets blamed for anything! Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 20
A Customer Satisfaction - Whose responsibility? Sales Manager? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Single Fault Condition IEC 60601 Clause 8.7.1 shorting Cr/Cl in Patient Applied Part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
adir88 Tools for Normal and Fault Conditions ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
S Returned product due to Customers fault, is it a Non-Conformance? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
A Touch current in single fault conditions test and earth leakage current in normal conditions test, are they really different tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
T Pulse oximeters ISO 80601-2-61, is 0% okay for probe fault? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
G IEC 61010 - Single Fault Condition - Protective Impedance Implementation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M What are Single Fault Conditions and how to test - IEC 80601-2-13 Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
E Single Fault Condition Simulation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
P Question related to Single Fault Conditions IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
G What is the exact meaning of Single Fault condition? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Single Fault Condition for Internally Powered Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
W Medical Device Single fault test-protection against fire IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M IEC 60601-1 Single fault conditions of electronic PCB components IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Single Fault Condition - Motor Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 17
R Is foreseeable misuse considered as single fault condition? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 33
G Single Fault Condition for 3-Phase Medical System - IEC 60601 Clause 8.1b IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Y FDA News bulletin: It's the FDA's fault! FDA at Fault for Poor Quality Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
R Should the fault tests pass if temperature goes high in short time? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
C FTA (Fault Tree Analysis) Software - Which is better/best Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
apestate At-Source DCMA QAR DOD Inspector finds fault with Part Marking Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
B Define Fault, Double Fault and Normal Conditions - Preparing a Risk Management File FMEA and Control Plans 1
I Seeking thoughts on using BOTH FTA (Fault Tree Analysis) and FMEA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 17
P Difference between Fault Tree and Factor Tree Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
I Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) - Application - Preventive, Corrective or Risk Analysis? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
E My boss wants me to issue a CAR to myself, though I don't feel I am at fault Nonconformance and Corrective Action 27
Ajit Basrur Risk Analysis using Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) or Hazard Operations Analysis (HAZOP) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Is a nonconformity the "fault" of QA auditors? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 33