Yield monitoring - Kg in and Kg out

piningg

Involved In Discussions
Hello

We want to monitor and set control limits of our product yield using kg in ( raw materials put in the machine ) vs kg out ( finish product ).. so basically it's the waste we're monitoring here.
Our dilemna is we're not continously making constant no. of kilos every run, sometimes we're running 1000kilos and sometimes 500kilos so..
Questions are;
yield by using kg in and kg out method is an attribute or variable data?
what chart to use, X bar chart or P chart??

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Hello

We want to monitor and set control limits of our product yield using kg in ( raw materials put in the machine ) vs kg out ( finish product ).. so basically it's the waste we're monitoring here.
Our dilemna is we're not continously making constant no. of kilos every run, sometimes we're running 1000kilos and sometimes 500kilos so..
Questions are;
yield by using kg in and kg out method is an attribute or variable data?
what chart to use, X bar chart or P chart??
Both metrics are variable (yield and kgs lost)

You might need a little more thinking. Is the loss depending on the size of the batch?

Take a look at the historic data and plot yield (out/in) and kgs lost on a run chart, calculate control limits.

Create a chatter plot (lot weight vs kgs lost and lot weight and yield) to see if they are dependent.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
in addition to the scatter diagram to look for independence, I have been successful using a p chart with variable sample size for %yield (yield is categorical - counting - data and not continuous data. The I, MR chart can be useful if the base size is fairly constant, but this is rare for my applications.

A

adrianpask - 2011

If i may add an additional component to the mix - every time you have a yield loss not only is this a loss in raw materials, it's also a loss to productivity or OEE.

For example, if a customer places and order for a 1000 units and you produce 100 units of waste your customer is highly unlikely to accept a short order - you have to make 1100 units. Therefore not only have you lost yield on the lost product, you've also lost production time because you've had to over produce.

If you want to know the real cost of your waste you may want to consider:

1. Work out how long it takes you to produce each unit

2. Multiple this by the number of units you waste to get a time loss per day

3. Multiply this by your fixed cost per hour to get a rough estimate of your productivity loss (there's lots of ways to do this - including multiplying by the cost per unit, or contribution to business, or....or....or....this is perhaps a decent start point).

4. Compare this to your raw material loss

The reason i raise this is that i know many manufacturers who track raw material loss in £ but don't track how much time they've wasted producing this out of spec material.

In my experience and opinion a focused OEE improvement activity not only improves raw machine output, it has a huge knock-on effect to quality, safety, and housekeeping KPI's.

If you want some ideas on how to track this automatically check out the website link in my profile as i have a system that can do this in real time for you out on the machine.

Regards,

Adrian.

piningg

Involved In Discussions
in addition to the scatter diagram to look for independence, I have been successful using a p chart with variable sample size for %yield (yield is categorical - counting - data and not continuous data. The I, MR chart can be useful if the base size is fairly constant, but this is rare for my applications.

as far as I know base size is not constant..

piningg

Involved In Discussions
Both metrics are variable (yield and kgs lost)

You might need a little more thinking. Is the loss depending on the size of the batch?

Take a look at the historic data and plot yield (out/in) and kgs lost on a run chart, calculate control limits.

Create a chatter plot (lot weight vs kgs lost and lot weight and yield) to see if they are dependent.
we know that's the bigger the kgin is the better yield we have and the smaller the kgin the lower yield

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Monitoring Specific Reasons and Categories of Yield Loss of Online Rejects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E 21 CFR 211.103 Calculation of Yield Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
R Yield Plot for different groupings Using Minitab Software 3
N Accurate calculations of First Time Quality / First Time Yield Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
P Is throughput yield the same as FPY or FTY? Rolled Throughput Yield Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Any official doc/spec on different types of Yield calculation? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
F Yield reaction higher than 100% Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q Validation of Predictive Models of Yield Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
B Machine Shop Yield and Cost - Productivity, Yield and Absorption Performance Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T First Pass Yield - Welding Process Improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B How to begin tracking FPY (First Pass Yield) and "Downtime" tracking Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B How RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) applies to different industries Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B Calculation of First Pass Yield (FPY) Six Sigma 9
F Rolled Throughput Yield and Confidence Interval Six Sigma 3
L Definition Throughput Yield (TPY) or First Pass Yield Calculation - Help Needed Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
D Defining Yield Rate Targets for different Manufacturing Processes APQP and PPAP 2
R First Pass Yield - Am I doing correct the First Pass Yield Metric Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
S How to Calculate Overall FPY (First Pass Yield) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
F First Pass Yield Helped Requested Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Q Machine Shop Yield & Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
M Correlation between 2 Variables - Potential X's that might affect yield percentage Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
R First Pass Yield Base Line Measurement Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
R Formula for calculating Money Value equivalent to 1% FPY (First Pass Yield) Six Sigma 5
M Developing a CPI for First Pass Yield Final Inspection - Need help Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
P FPY (First Pass Yield) calculation acceptable? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
E Normalized vs. Rolled Throughput Yield - First Pass Yield metrics for our processes Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
A Regulations for Yield Reporting and Evaluation Upon Lot Completion 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Sampling and Yield calculation for a specific period of time (more than one batch) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C How to improve the yield of a highly workmanship-dependent process. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
J Metrics to be put in place in our Test department - First Pass Yield and Paretos Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
C Calculate DPPM/PPM for second yield rework Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
T Internal Audit Yield %'s (Poll included) Internal Auditing 16
N Definition TDU (Total Defects per Unit) and RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
B Calculating Throughput Yield or Yield Six Sigma 10
K Savings Yield of Process Improvement over Product Improvement Six Sigma 8
H Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Loss - Can you measure in PPM? Six Sigma 3
S RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) - Use Poisson Distribution Calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
H Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Calculations for a Sequential Process Six Sigma 2
B How to define and Calculate the DPU, DPMU, DPMO, Yield, Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Rolled Throughput Yield - Is anyone using this metric, and if so, how Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
M Statistical techniques for determining which factors are affecting the yield? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
C Help me to calculate the yield and process quality in terms of the dpmu Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Setting Manufacturing Yield Targets using Regression Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S DPMO (Defects Per Million Opportunities) vs. RTY (Rolled-Throughput-Yield) Six Sigma 7
P How Do I Measure Productivity? Throughput yield? OEE measures? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
L RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) Calculation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
L Is there any relationship between Cpk & Right First Time? First Pass Yield (FPY)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
Q Monitoring of lead time - Good KPI identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B Bioburden monitoring for surgical instrument provided non-sterile EU Medical Device Regulations 3