Z (Archived) Copyright - Cut and Paste Copyright Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Re: Copyright - Cut and Paste Copyright Issues

You can email the site webmaster, and then escalate by contacting the ISP hosting the infringing site, but in the long run if a polite request doesn't work you're looking at significant lawyer fees. Do an internet search on "site scrapers" or similar. Essentially you're wanting to send them a DMCA take down notice.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

I think the essence of what Marc or most other website operators will tell you is that the burden of vigilance falls upon you

1. to spot when others take and publish your material
  2. to determine whether the offending web site is stealing on purpose to use your material for its benefit, OR
  3. whether the offending website is unknowingly publishing pirated material from contributors (this is a continual "problem" here in the Cove)
  4. to determine whether you are losing money or credibility or giving advantage to competitors by having your material published without attribution or pay on someone else's website.
  5. If there is a real loss to you, other than mere annoyance, you can follow these steps (in increasing effort and cost to you):

• Contact the webmaster of the offending site and ask politely (don't start the battle immediately!) that he remove it, offering a link to your own page showing where you created the material. 9 times out of 10, the webmaster will comply without ANY threat of legal action by you. If he ignores you or does not remove it within a reasonable time (about a week - many sites are not as well-maintained as the Cove), proceed to the next step.
  • Check through channels to see what ISP is hosting the website (some, alas, are notorious for hosting "bad guy" websites and won't do anything to help you), then lay out your case to the ISP for a DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) takedown notice. In the spirit of fair use for education purposes, I have excerpted this comment from the website, http://www.chillingeffects.org, one of many where I found identical or similar text
In order to have an allegedly infringing web site removed from a service provider's network, or to have access to an allegedly infringing website disabled, the copyright owner must provide notice to the service provider with the following information:
  • The name, address, and electronic signature of the complaining party [512(c)(3)(A)(i)]
  • The infringing materials and their Internet location [512(c)(3)(A)(ii-iii)], or if the service provider is an "information location tool" such as a search engine, the reference or link to the infringing materials [512(d)(3)].
  • Sufficient information to identify the copyrighted works [512(c)(3)(A)(iv)].
  • A statement by the owner that it has a good faith belief that there is no legal basis for the use of the materials complained of [512(c)(3)(A)(v)].
  • A statement of the accuracy of the notice and, under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on the behalf of the owner [512(c)(3)(A)(vi)].
Once notice is given to the service provider, or in circumstances where the service provider discovers the infringing material itself, it is required to expeditiously remove, or disable access to, the material. The safe harbor provisions do not require the service provider to notify the individual responsible for the allegedly infringing material before it has been removed, but they do require notification after the material is removed.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!
Check to see that your stolen material is, indeed, "copyrightable" (regardless of whether you have applied for formal copyright.) If it is not, you are dead in the water. From the website cited above, here is a brief description to use as a rule of thumb:
Question: What subject matter is not copyrightable?
Answer
: Copyright protects original works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, procedures, processes, systems, methods of operation, concepts, principles, or discoveries. 17 U.S.C. ? 102(b). To the extent a copyrightable expression and uncopyrightable subject matter are inseparably linked (?merged?), copyright protection for the expression is generally unavailable.
These limits serve several purposes. First, they help make sure copyright does not burden creativity. If one could copyright not only the TV show "The West Wing," but also the idea of a story about a fictional President and his advisors, then many other creative works would be stifled. See Baker v. Selden, 101 U.S. 99 (U.S., 1880).
Second, these limits help ensure that copyright promotes and rewards creativity. Originality is required by the Constitution for copyright protection. Original in this sense only requires that the work be independently created with some creative effort; it is does not require that the work be novel or innovative. Facts and other discoveries do not meet this standard and are therefore not copyrightable. Feist Publications v. Rural Telephone, 499 U.S. 340 (1991).
Finally, these limits keep copyright from extending into other areas of intellectual property law. Procedures, processes, systems, and methods of operation are functional, useful inventions within the scope of patent law, and are therefore not copyrightable. Baker v. Selden, 101 U.S. 99 (U.S., 1880)
A few common examples of noncopyrightable subject matter include:

• Blank forms are not copyrightable because they are functional in nature. Baker v. Selden, 101 U.S. 99 (U.S., 1880) and 37 CFR 202.1(c)
  • Copying a set of contest rules was deemed non-infringing because there were only a limited number of ways to express the rules. Thus, the non-copyrightable idea of the rules had merged with the expression (also described as "the merger doctrine"). Morrissey v. Procter & Gamble Co., 379 F.2d 675 (1st Cir., 1967)
  • Recipes and other ?mere listing of ingredients? are functional and not copyrightable. 37 CFR 202.1(a)
  • Typefaces and ?mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering or coloring? are generally not copyrightable. 37 CFR 202.1(a) and (e)
  • Stock characters or generic settings and themes may also be unprotectable.

On a personal note,
I recognize how frustrating it must be to work on something you present with all the pride of creation, only to have some thief steal it and use it to his benefit. You have my sympathy.

J

JaneB

Hello,
I am seking your kind advice, please. One of the new website is continuously copying the contents from my website & pasting on his own. Unfortunate part is that I don't have any copyright on my self created contents so far. Is there any way to tackle such a website indulging into an unethical act. Kindly help
Yogindernath
This makes me really mad - I've had it happen to me a few times with material on my website. I found that a couple of other unethical consultants had obviously liked what I wrote because they pinched it and copied it word for word, paragraph by paragraph into their own website. Now that was definitely my writing and my material.

If they had asked permission to link, I wouldn't have minded (I'd have been flattered). But just take it 'because you can'? Nope - it is theft.:mad:

But there are things you can do. I found this Copyscape site very helpful. I have used its free search facility to find copyright thieves, and then used the advice from the site (and the forum on it) to send stern letters to the offenders, warning them of further action I intended to take, including notifying various parties of the theft and reporting them to Google. This worked.

Don't take it lying down!

C

chaosweary

I bought several childrens bible books for my son. I wonder how they can say the content is copyrighted? :lmao: Imagine the royalties paid out for the Bible or Koran!!!

I guess in the big picture is it better to copyright information or make it available for the advancement of everyone?

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

I bought several childrens bible books for my son. I wonder how they can say the content is copyrighted? :lmao: Imagine the royalties paid out for the Bible or Koran!!!

I guess in the big picture is it better to copyright information or make it available for the advancement of everyone?
Copyrights DO eventually expire, at which time the content falls into public domain and anyone with a desire may republish and sell such material.

There is a website which makes a specialty of providing public domain documents -
Project Gutenberg

You might take a moment to look it over to see what LEGAL use of previously copyrighted material can do in furthering the cause of education and entertainment.

I especially recommend reading over the facts contained on this page at the site:
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:Copyright_FAQ

As always, "Knowledge is Power!" The more facts you have at your command (versus half-formed opinions based on zero facts), the more effective you will be in your career and personal life.

C

chaosweary

As always, "Knowledge is Power!" The more facts you have at your command (versus half-formed opinions based on zero facts), the more effective you will be in your career and personal life.
Alas "facts" usually have some type of human interpretation behind them, most having some type of human manipulation. Facts are only as good as the people that put the truth behind them. I could get link upon link from any government or scientific source, but never truly believe it unless I have evidence of it myself. Something may be a local or federal regulation, that maybe a fact, but if its not enforced or if no-one has knowledge of it or realizes it, then it is really non-existent, like the sound of a tree falling in the woods.
The true power of fact is not in the empircal evidence but in the delivery and presentation of the facts and universal recogition. Now, where are those WMD's? Global warming, global cooling, wait, ahhhh Climate Change! :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin

I'm having trouble agreeing it's better to do a large amount of cutting, copying & pasting of others' information and putting it in here.

Would it not be better (& overall more courteous) not to copy & paste information published by others, but instead to provide specific links to the real information on the site, along with an indication of what information you're providing links to?
I have updated the forum Policy on Copy/Paste. Times are changing on the internet. If anyone *does* Copy and Paste, no more than a brief description and a sentence or two. You MUST cite the source of what you have copied. The same goes for files attached to posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Does ISO 9001 require that hard copies of documents be archived? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Requesting Information From FDA concerning Archived 510K 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M GHTF (Global Harmonization Task Force) "Archived" Document question EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Validating 3rd Party Software which Tracks Archived Samples Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
TheMightyWife Copyright for articles used in CER (Clinical Evaluation Report) EU Medical Device Regulations 16
Sam Lazzara USA Federal Court Upholds Copyright Protections for Standards Organizations Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M I am looking for the text of the copyright 'rules' for AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
M Plagiarism & Copyright Infringement Discussion Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
Marc Surprise! American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Hershal This morning I received notification that I have my third copyright Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
Marc Copyright - Including Copyrighted Material from other Websites or Sources in Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 12
Q AIAG Standards - What promotes copyright infringement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Intranet Communication of Standards Guidelines - Copyright Aspects Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Marc Copyright - 'Ownership' of Post Content and Files Attached to Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 2
P ASTM copyright infringement? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
A ISO Standards - Copyright Limitations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
S Reproducing parts of a standard in a Procedure - copyright infringement? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Q The best way to view standards for free without violating copyright Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
T How much can you "copy" before violating the copyright Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 22
W Copyright - Links in Posts Leading to Copyrighted Material on Other Web Sites Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 25
JWenmeekers Copyright reminder Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
CarolX Copyright Material vs. File Sharing - Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 14
DuncanGibbons How are part cut out specimens made and tested? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Painted cut threads - ASME Pipe Suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Hershal Fire disaster in Southern California (Blue Cut fire) - August 2016 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
somashekar Adhesive Seepage from Die Cut Parts Edge Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
D Hard cut off date for certificates to be issued against ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
Jim Wynne Measure Twice, Cut Once: The French Railroad Snafu World News 18
Y How to cut off Extremely High and Low Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Q Do cut-in ECOs trigger "control of nonconforming product" procedure? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
AnaMariaVR2 Lazy Lawn Mowing (Lazy Way to Cut the Grass!) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 5
C Inspecting a Profile Tolerance for a Die Cut Gasket Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Fender1 PPAP-PSW Accuracy Concern - Laser Cut Holes In Formed Fabricated Steel Part APQP and PPAP 15
M Vinyl and Cloth Cut Parts Tolerances? (Car Seats) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
J First Mile Stone/Cut-Off Date for AS9100 Transition - R.I.P. AS9100 Rev. B AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
AnaMariaVR2 Sartorius launches device to cut and seal single-use tubes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Cut Edge Quality Specifications for Mild Steel Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
I Prove or disprove that a cube can be cut in 27 smaller cubes in less than 6 cuts Brain Teasers and Puzzles 14
T What is the significance of "Cut Off Length" in roughness and waviness measurement? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A Customer Quality Complaint - Visual Defects from cut-to-length shear Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Marc Chrysler to cut 800 dealers on Thursday World News 1
A Normal Deviation - short cut/method to calculate sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering GM to cut 14% of global salaried workforce this year World News 0
bobdoering Nissan To Cut 20,000 Jobs World-Wide. World News 0
M Do Package Inserts Meet the FDA Definition of Cut Labeling? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Stijloor GM to cut jobs, bonuses, and dividend World News 20
C Gage R&R @ 10% - Does that mean you should cut your tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
S How can I die cut foam - I'm thinking of a simple hand machine? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Ajit Basrur FDA warning on canned French Cut Green Beans US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Sidney Vianna ISO 14001 FAQ's Cut and Pasted from the ISO Site ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 0