From Elsmar Cove Quality Assurance and Business Standards Wiki
Just-In-Time (aka JIT) –
- "Just-In-Time" - Maintaining minimal inventory by arranging with suppliers to deliver the needed items daily or even hourly. Has major inventory cost-saving benefits, but can be accomplished only if high levels of quality are consistently available from suppliers.
- "Just-In-Time training" - Providing training when it is needed and when there is both the opportunity and support for applying that training.
- A method for optimizing processes that involves continual reduction of waste;
- The Toyota Motor Company production system;
- An umbrella term that encompasses several Japanese management techniques.
- JIT Purchasing an approach to purchasing that requires long-term agreements with few suppliers.