Identification and (material) traceability - Intent of the Standard?

J

JoeQNovice

I have a supplier who is implementing ISO 9001:2000. They provide us with material that is DFAR compliant (U.S. steel traceable to the ingot). They also provide some of their commercial clients with cold-rolled steel where they do not have traceability per batch or lot through the heat number to a particular cert.

They buy from a local company that brings in material from China. They make products for a lot of customers that don't require certs from this material, without any traceability as to what steel used came from what batch/lot, etc. They say their customers don't care so whay should they...

They are essentially running two systems - one where traceabiity exists as per customer requirements and one where it doesn't becasue customers don't require it - Does this comply with the intent of the Standard?

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Identification and (material) traceability

I don't see it as running 2 systems, I see it as compliance with customer requirements.

One customer requires full traceability - and pays for it in higher cost.

The other customer just want commercial quality steel, at the cheapest avaialble price.

Years ago I worked with a supplier with a similar situation. They developed a system for keeping the traceable material under lock and key to prevent comingling of material.

Randy

Super Moderator

It's just a single system issue as Carol said. They need to make sure they state exclusions clearly in their Q Manual for that product and customers not requiring traceability, like referencing a record or something like that.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

It's just a single system issue as Carol said. They need to make sure they state exclusions clearly in their Q Manual for that product and customers not requiring traceability, like referencing a record or something like that.
Maintaining the different supplies of product (traceable versus unmarked and probably untraceable) is really no more difficult than keeping 1215 Steel segregated from 12L14 Steel. The Supplier Approval process a company requiring traceable material needs is to assure itself the supplier does, indeed, have an active, valid process for maintaining segregation of various lots of steel to assure the lots are never comingled.

:topic:Personally, when I was in the high tech machining business, there were "some" suppliers in whom I could not feel confidence for maintaining lot control (the basis for traceability), especially after touring facilities and noticing bundles of steel laying by a receiving dock without identifying tags or markings indicating source or even grade of steel, and thus did not give them business despite the fact their selling price was substantially below prices charged by suppliers I selected.

J

JoeQNovice

Thank you all - It makes a lot of sense. Appreciate the info and love this forum! :D

Top Bottom