Causes of Porosity of Die-Castings and How to Improve Die-Casting

J

johnny xu

Hi everyone

Who give me some ideas about how to explain which cause porosity of die-casting and how to improve it .

THX:cool:

N

NumberCruncher

Re: What causes Porosity of Die-Castings and How to Improve Die-Casting

Hi Johnny

It depends on what you are die casting. For aluminium and it's alloys, hydrogen pickup is probably the most common cause.

If you tell us what material you are using, you may get a more precise reply.

NC

J

johnny xu

Hi

ZDC-2 material

We are tier-1 for Volkswagen , and conduct Porosity of metal casting of VW 50097.

And I found the part supplier product the casting porosity is bigger than VW standard.

THX

W

wmarhel

Hi everyone

Who give me some ideas about how to explain which cause porosity of die-casting and how to improve it .

THX:cool:

Two other possible issues could be the mold design itself and whether the vacuum draw is sufficient and/or operating properly. Ask the supplier if they have done a mold flow analysis. Also, ask if this particular is shared amongst multiple machines. If it is, then have have you received batches where the quality was acceptable, hence my reason for questioning the vacuum draw.

Are these parts for use by Volkswagen in China? If so, I know of two die-casting facilities that I would be more than happy to make introductions. I have personally spent time with both during my trips, and they both have very good technical capabilities and quality.

Regards,

Wayne

N

NumberCruncher

Hi Johhny

Zinc alloys are not my area of familiarity. However, there are some general indicators I can give.

When the metal has been polished, (<1 micron surface finish) what shape are the porosity voids when you look at them under a microscope? If they are round, they are most probably gas. You may be able to fix this by degassing the molten metal with nitrogen or argon before you die cast. Don't overdo the degassing, some metals can react with or absorb nitrogen.

Of course, you could have the problem that you are pulling the metal into the die so quickly that you get turbulence and the gas voids are actually air that has been pulled into the metal as you are casting.

If the voids are irregular and follow grain boundaries, they may be shrinkage voids. This has at least two causes. One is that you are not "feeding" the casting fast enough. In other words, the metal is not getting into the die cavity fast enough. Another cause is that the metal is cooling too fast when it hits the die wall. In this case the metal may cool so fast that shrinkage voids are unavoidable.

Does the porosity appear at the start of the day, and get less as the dies are used more? If so, the temperature of the die may be having an effect.

Strange but true, even the time of year can have an effect. During the summer, the average humidity of the air is greater, so you can get hydrogen pickup having a greater effect during the summer.

Sorry if this is a bit general, but solving metallurgical problems is not something that can be done in a forum. All I can do is give general pointers to places to look at.

NC

J

johnny xu

THX Karma,

do you have any books for die casting

share it with me.

S

supreecha

Design of Experiment1) KPIV (s)A. AL Temp. (oC) 680-684 685-690B. Mold Temp.(oC) 350-380 380-400C. Die Coat Thickness (um) 20-40 60-100D.Cycle time (sec) 3-5.59 6-8

I

ingeneren

You got it-- I was just getting ready to reply then I saw your post. Also mold design and the ability to vent properly to reduce outgassing and promote even cooling would be a big factor. Poorly designed tooling, plugged vents, incorrect vent placement have a huge impact on outgassing and cooling potential. Ti-Cast, aluminum alloy, Magnesium alloy, nickel alloy, and pig iron-- all react a little different as far as venting and cooling for mold design.

The material itself, temperature of the ovens-- I had my crew montor the smelting ovens (27 total) to ensure the temperature variations from oven to oven were within so many degrees of each other.
-- 35 years engineering manager at Alcoa aerospace :), NADCA MEMBER since 1997-
Super alloys

S

supreecha

Could you please share your experience for "Al Flow Forming" technology ?
- Mold assembly
- Sand blast
- Dy coat
- Mold Inspection
- Melting Furnace setup
- Degassing:pressure, Argon Ratio, Time, Fluxing, Density test
- Compositions (Tensile Test, Microstructure Test, Grain Modification)
- Casting (Temperature, Cooling time, Pressure )
- Mold dycoat (Density Test)
- Water Quenching (Temp)
-

Last edited by a moderator:
H

heenaveer

Large castings tend to have greater porosity problems, due to entrapped air, and the melt solidifying before it gets to the furthest extremities of the die-cast cavity. The porosity problem can be somewhat overcome by vacuum die casting....

Top Bottom