ASQ CQT Exam - Appropriate study time and best resources recommendations

I

Ironcountry

Can someone recommend appropriate study time and best resources assuming person will take the test in March?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: ASQ CQT Exam

Can someone recommend appropriate study time and best resources assuming person will take the test in March?

Gary Griffith's Quality Technician's Handbook is, or at least used to be, a favorite amongst people taking the CQT exam. I took the exam a long time ago (1990, I think) and I got the place where I worked at the time to buy a copy. It's also a useful general reference for mechanical inspection.

I

Ironcountry

Hello,

Can you give a ballpark figure in the amount of time one should study to adequately prepare?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hello,

Can you give a ballpark figure in the amount of time one should study to adequately prepare?

It's really hard to say because there are too many variables, including how much you know, how you generally do at taking tests, etc. Have a look at Additional Sources for ASQ CQT Sample Exam Questions. Once you get a feel for the types of questions likely to be on the exam you'll have a better idea of what you might need to brush up on.

C

CertifiedDataJunkie

As Jim indicates, the answer absolutely is "it depends." Also, no one can make these decisions for you.

Nonetheless, the Quality Council of Indiana indicates in their CQT Primer (1998 edition) that when students study independently or unaided, a MINIMUM of 90 hours of preparation is suggested. Obviously, this time can be reduced by taking an appropriate CQT Refresher Course, using other preparation techniques (e.g., group study), or already having advanced preparation at the time of becoming a candidate.

From your user nickname, are you in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan? ASQ Sections often offer preparation courses for these exams.

A

Al Dyer

Hi,

Quality Technician's Handbook is what is used in this neck of the woods. (MI) Study hard, study often, research the internet, and most important; get a good nights sleep before the exam.

Does anybody know if ASQ releases test info other than Pass/Fail? I passed the test but sure do wish I knew the questions that I missed. It could have helped me improve.

Al...

C

CertifiedDataJunkie

Does anybody know if ASQ releases test info other than Pass/Fail? I passed the test but sure do wish I knew the questions that I missed. It could have helped me improve.

Scores are only given to candidates who are unsuccessful. If you go to the ASQ Certification FAQ, the following response is found:

I passed. What was my score?

ASQ Certification Exams are not designed to "rank" the relative performance of successful candidates. Rather, the exams are designed specifically to differentiate between competent and not-competent test takers. If we were to report the scale scores to successful candidates, we would be violating a specific area of the assessment standards called "Test Use" – i.e., it would be a misuse of the ASQ exams if someone who scored a 580 claimed to be "more competent" than someone who scored a 560 or a 570. The ASQ exams would require a different basic design (and would serve a very different purpose) in order for that kind of statement to be valid.

So called "rank-comparison examinations" do exist and are primarily used in the educational field. They are called "norm-referenced" tests, and they are designed to indicate a candidate’s performance in relation to others who took that test. ASQ exams are criteria-based and are scored in terms of an established standard of performance that remains constant regardless of the variation in scores produced by any particular candidate population.

I

Ironcountry

Thanks for the information. Yes, I am in Marquette Michigan.

Top Bottom