CQT Exam - Statistics

Kat Mouse

Registered
Hey all, brand new to the forum. I've been a Quality Assurance Technician and the NCMR Coordinator at my plant in Automotive and Aerospace manufacturing (thermal adhesives) for almost 3 and a half years. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Anthropology with minors in Archaeology, Earth Science and Spanish. My background doesn't scream (in a good way) for the statistics part of the CQT exam. I've been working on this since the beginning of August and have been using the CQT Handbook and the study materials that are included on the ASQ website for the course, plus the CQT Exam Question Sample Banks. I've also signed up to a Udemy course on Statistics, but I still seem to be flailing around trying to find sure footing. I've ready some of the other threads about book references like the CQT primer, CQE primer, the CQE Quick References Notes by Dodson (cannot find this anywhere), and I'm looking into those now. I've also read the tips on jotting down all of the exam questions and trying to find the references in the book for each one to help study better. I also just bought the ASQ Certified Quality Technician Practice Exams book by Beva Books on Amazon, but got frustrated after about an hour of trudging through questions I felt like I hadn't read anything about in any of the study materials.

My 2 biggest struggles are right now are Statistics and Measurement Tools. Statistics because I don't have a strong background in math (the last course I took was College Algebra 101 in 2007). Does anyone have any recommendations on any other study materials to help? My 2nd weakness is Measurement Tools. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere with pictures on tools? It seems like the neither the book or the study materials have a complete list of tools for types of jobs.

I learn best by seeing and doing in order to grasp concepts vs. reading alone. Any help would be appreciated.

If it helps, I do have an ASQ membership in case there are study materials on there I am missing.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave: I took the CQT exam a loooong time ago (1990 or '91) so I don't know how much help I can be regarding the current exam, but I found the Quality Technician Handbook helpful, and it's still in print now. I can also tell you that if you lack experience with common measurement devices and methods, it might be difficult. As far as the math part is concerned, if you haven't gone through the practice exams yet, you'll have a much better feel for what you might need to know. I'm sure others will chime in here with more recent experience and tips.

BradM

Leader
Admin
What I add.... is really just a repackaging of exactly what Jim provided.

I would strongly suggest getting the practice exams. Sit down and give them a go (do time yourself... just for your own knowledge). Then... once you run across questions you need to reference something, you will know what you need and what you don't. Maybe... say, just make note of most of the questions you needed reference for. That will help guide you on what resource(s) you might need.

I do say you need the right number of references. Not enough you won't have something there to reference. Too many... you will get frustrated trying to find the information and eat up your time.

Practice practice and get proficient at searching your references. This will increase your chance of success significantly.

Good luck!!

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
You said you are an ASQ member. Call and speak to the president of the ASQ section closest to where you live. Maybe the section has an active volunteer or a retiree who would mentor you on statistics and measurement tools, just out of the goodness of his heart. If you do not attend ASQ meetings, maybe you can arrange to meet with a coach/mentor by Zoom. The other option is to find another student preparing for the CQT exam and you study together and coach each other. Maybe you have complementary strengths.

I gave a coworker a link to one site listing MOOCs on Statistics. Many of the big universities allow free access to live or canned courses online. But these are general courses and I think you want more tailored to your immediate needs.

There are excellent targeted articles and tutorials on applied statistics and tools at websites such as NIST Engineering Statistics and JMP Statistical Thinking for Industrial Problem Solving and the Minitab Blog and of course, the sponsor of the Elsmar Cove, PQ System Quality Advisor. (I have no financial interest in promoting any of these sites.) Of course the commercial sites want you to buy their software, and when you get comfortable with statistical analysis and pass your CQT test, of course you will someday want to buy one of the software packages who generously share these how-to articles. We all had to learn our way to where we are now. Good luck in your journey.

Top Bottom