Extending Surface Plate Calibration Frequency

M

mhirand20

the current calibration frequency for surface plates in our plant is every 18 months, I am checking the possibility to extend this to 24 months but I need some feeback currently reading ANSI Z540 and cant find details on the calibration frequency.

the surface plate is use mostly in the final inspection of titanium parts

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Calibration of a surface plate depends on its usage and wear history. If you are using a height gage, for example, the entire surface is a measuring surface, similar to a face on the anvil of a micrometer. So, much like a micrometer, the types of materials, the cleanliness of the parts, the weight of the parts, the frequency of checks - as examples - affect the necessary calibration period. How often has the surface plate been resurfaces as a part of the calibration in the past? If it was every time, you might need to increase the calibration frequency. If it is every 5 years, the opposite is true.

Because of these, and many other variations, you will rarely see calibration frequency specified. As usual, the most correct answer to any question: "It depends." :cool:

AndyN

Moved On
the current calibration frequency for surface plates in our plant is every 18 months, I am checking the possibility to extend this to 24 months but I need some feeback currently reading ANSI Z540 and cant find details on the calibration frequency.

the surface plate is use mostly in the final inspection of titanium parts

Gotta have the data from past periodic checks to see what the wear rate is - it's not in any standard, because they have no idea what you're using it for! Obviously the wear rate is different from plastic/rubber parts to abrasive hard steels etc. It's yours to manage, based on data!

Top Bottom