Preventive Action Examples, Excluding Preventive Maintenance, Wanted

I

Isabel

I would like to know pratical examples of Preventive actions (excluding preventive maintenance).
Thanks in advance

M

Mike Smith

Re: Preventive action examples

Here are some good ones we use here:

The use of Electro Static Discharge prevention wriststraps, bootstraps, jackets when electronic devices are handled.
Alarms that tell us when a oven is too hot to prevent damage to the product.
Poke-yoke- a device that prevents operators from installing parts in backwards.

D

Duke Okes

Isabel said:
I would like to know pratical examples of Preventive actions (excluding preventive maintenance).
Thanks in advance

- Failure Mode & Effects Analysis
- using SPC to detect process shifts/trends, etc., and responding before product quality is actually out of spec
- Looking for patterns in customer complaints, nonconforming material, corrective actions, etc., over a period of time (e.g., quarterly, annually)

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Preventive action examples

There is an opportunity to key in a wrong price. You have IT synchronize pricing with a price book (put it "on-line" in a database table for your order entry) that has always been a hard copy. You have now prevented the opportunity to price something wrong. (of course, if you have already made the mistake, it is corrective)

Using a new technology might be a preventive action. The old widget wore out every 3 months, but we can replace it with this new technology that widgets at a much higer quality, eliminating the possibility of imparting surface scratches, and also lasts for 2 years before needing replacement.

Replacing a hard copy quality system documentation with an on-line system with notification capabilities. There was nothing wrong with the old system, but the possibility existed that not all personnel were notified of changes in a "timely" manner. Now, everyone gets notified at once, and there is little opportunity of having outdated documents.

That's what I could think of off the top of my head, using a combination of things we have put into place.

M

Martijn

Righto, I might be wrong here, but....

Isn't a preventive action by defenition an action you take to prevent something to happen that didn't happen yet?.

As I've understood it, if you taken an action to prevent something from happening again, it's a corrective action.

Following this reasoning, a preventive action could follow from something you've learned from a benchmark, sister companies, industry bodies, etc. and then implement before anything happens? Another and more internally focussed example i was given was if you implement something in all of your productlines to prevent problems you had in one of those productlines.

Anyways my point is that the difference between corrective and preventive actions is derived from the (lack of) history of incidents you want to prevent.

The examples given above could all be corrective actions IMHO if the things they try to prevent actually happened there.

S

silly girl

Isabel said:
Thanks in advance

We often get preventive actions from internal audits. Auditors might notice a loop hole in the process that could allow defects / escapes, but has not done so yet. Not sure if this really qualifies though, our organization has struggled with this element also.

Silly Girl

C

chaosweary

See my example here: http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=154289#post154289

The skinny is you do a potential failure mode effects analysis (pFMEA) to narrow the scope of prevention (which is what people can't seem to get a handle on), then you implement detection (a monitor in your process that would detect the highest risk potential failure). Measure if any escapes have occured for your detection process to analyze effectiveness. You now have a closed loop PREVENTIVE action process. Not one based on the impact of a former corrective action. :2cents:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
chaosweary said:
See my example here: http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=154289#post154289

The skinny is you do a potential failure mode effects analysis (pFMEA) to narrow the scope of prevention (which is what people can't seem to get a handle on), then you implement detection (a monitor in your process that would detect the highest risk potential failure). Measure if any escapes have occured for your detection process to analyze effectiveness. You now have a closed loop PREVENTIVE action process. Not one based on the impact of a former corrective action. :2cents:

While that would be an acceptable example, and FMEAs are certainly preventive, I think you are making it too complicated.

FMEAs are in clause 7.3 (of TS), while "Preventive Actions" are in clause 8.5.3. I would assume if they expected them to be the same thing, they would have written it that way.

"Preventive Actions" are just like Corrective Actions, just you dealt with the cause and failure BEFORE it occurred, rather than after.

An example is:

After September 11, knives were banned from American aircraft. An appropriate corrective action, but too late. The damage was done.

Banning knives a few weeks before, as being a dumb policy, would have been a very smart preventive action. But alas, the government did not do that. So, they had to do a corrective action, and also clean up the resulting chaos and mess.

By the way, before you quibble with my definition, please reread the definition of both actions in ISO 9000 and ISO 9001 cl. 8.5.2 and 8.5.3. The definitions are extremely similar, except for a small detail - actual failure vs. potential failure. Let's not over-complicate this.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
silly girl said:
We often get preventive actions from internal audits. Auditors might notice a loop hole in the process that could allow defects / escapes, but has not done so yet. Not sure if this really qualifies though, our organization has struggled with this element also.

Silly Girl

That quaifies fine, if the are potential issues. If the escapes are already occurring, then just call it a "corrective" action and write it up just the same.

Top Bottom