Definition Nonconforming Product - Definition of Nonconforming Product in a Water Facility

N

Noah1

Hello everyone,

I work in Quality Management for a water utility. I am involved in the construction of civil, mechanical and electrical assets. Our business unit is ISO 9001:2008 accredited.

I am reviewing our mandatory procedure for the control of nonconforming product.

The definition of nonconforming product seems clear but the trouble I'm having is figuring out when a 'Non-Conformance' should be issued. Should it only be at planned inspection and verification points? Only at internal or external audit? Or whenever there is a deviation from the planned arrangements in the management system?

Does anyone have any suggestions for when a Non-Conformance should be issued?

S

samsung

Re: Definition of Non-Conformance

The definition of nonconforming product seems clear but the trouble I'm having is figuring out when a 'Non-Conformance' should be issued. Should it only be at planned inspection and verification points? Only at internal or external audit? Or whenever there is a deviation from the planned arrangements in the management system?

A nonconformance relating to a Nonconforming product should only be issued if there is evidence that requirements have not been met, e.g, evidences of lack of segregation, identification, containment or any other specific requirement defined in the procedure etc.

Nonconforming product, on and itself, is not a nonconformance though it's a result of any nonconforming process/ activity.

T

Trucy

Re: Definition of Non-Conformance

Hi

In my opinion that it is not real for NCR, because of its also involves with working procedure of each disciplines.

If your findings are met with DWP (Department working procedure) then can not be given Non-conformance. You should raise them as highlight or observation only.

:agree:

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hello everyone,

I work in Quality Management for a water utility. I am involved in the construction of civil, mechanical and electrical assets. Our business unit is ISO 9001:2008 accredited.

I am reviewing our mandatory procedure for the control of nonconforming product.

Making an analogy with a production site, I see non conformity from incoming to shipping through production.
So, if you have some deviations from arrangements also in purchased material for your business, this is a non conformance product.
I agree with the other things you said in your post :bigwave:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Just think of it as you can have a nonconforming product (i.e. water in your case, not meeting specified requirements) or you can have a nonconforming process (which could in turn lead to a nonconforming product) IMHO, the sooner someone points out the fact that you have a nonconformance, the better. The closer your product gets to your customer the more expensive it is to take care of (generalities, I know, but it still holds a lot of truth). So, while most process nonconformities typically are pointed out in audits, and product nonconformities are pointed out in inspections, there really is no reason that they cannot be brought up anywhere along the process, imho.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello everyone,

Noah1,

Do not mix the control of nonconforming product (8.3) with its sister process or processes for controlling process nonconformity (8.2.3) and system nonconformity (8.2.2 and 8.5.2).

Your incoming water treatment materials, if nonconforming, will result in a nonconforming material report to stop use of the materials until deemed fit for purpose by competent people or replaced by the supplier. You may possibly issue a SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request) so the supplier removes the root causes of the nonconforming product from its management system to stop recurrence.

Your quality plan (see 7.1) should also define the verifications and verification points and the recovery actions including water nonconformity reports to control each situation and later to analyze for corrective action. These may be automated as part of your water treatment system.

May I suggest your question is evidence of incomplete quality planning?:whip:

That is where I would start the action to improve your system to prevent and gain control of any product nonconformity.

Even if not considering certification, please do not ignore your national QMS standard. It (or ISO 22000) may define the boundary for acting with due care in your industry.

John

Top Bottom