Calibration of Non-Measurement Tools (e.g.: Hydraulic Jacks)

A

abhussain

Hi,

We use hydraulic jacks to lift our industrial water tanks during installation. These jacks are only used for lifting purposes much like the jack used to lift a car (for a tire change). We use a series of jacks simultaneously.

Question - Do these jacks need to be calibrated according to ISO 9001:2008. If so, could you specify the clause. I know clause 7.6 requires calibration for measuring instruments, but as I said these jacks are not used for measuring anything only simultaneous lifting. Nevertheless, if ISO 9001 requires that all equipment be calibrated I would appreciate it if you could refer me to the particular clause.

Regards,

Arshad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
My opinion:

No. Any requirements are safety related which ISO 9001 does not address per se. The bottom line is local/county/state/federal regulations will apply so the expectation is these regulatory aspects are identified and complied with. ISO 9001 auditors will rarely go into these areas in any depth other than to ensure you have identified and are complying with them.

Calibration, in so far as ISO 9001 (and TS 16949, etc.) are concerned, is related to product inspection and acceptance.

There are many discussions here on aspects such as calibration retirements for set-up equipment (as an example) and you'll find some interesting interpretations/opinions. But for a hydraulic jack in the instances you mentioned - They're unrelated to the "quality" of the product in any was (my opinion).

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,

We use hydraulic jacks to lift our industrial water tanks during installation. These jacks are only used for lifting purposes much like the jack used to lift a car (for a tire change). We use a series of jacks simultaneously. ..................

The way you used it, the hydraulic jacks are 'tools' even if they come with a pressure gage. It is the gage that need calibration if used to make important decisions such as during pressure tests, etc.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
The original post:
<snip> We use hydraulic jacks to lift our industrial water tanks during installation. These jacks are only used for lifting purposes much like the jack used to lift a car (for a tire change). We use a series of jacks simultaneously. <snip>

The way you used it, the hydraulic jacks are 'tools' even if they come with a pressure gage. It is the gage that need calibration if used to make important decisions such as during pressure tests, etc.

Neither of these have anything to do with the quality of the product. They are not process related. A jack lifts a car. That isn't related to the service provided once the car is lifted. And the hydraulic jacks to lift their industrial water tanks during installation are not related to the quality of the product. They are not used in inspection or test of the product.

You mention "pressure tests" - These gages may or may not require calibration. ISO 9001 doesn't specifically address them, however as I wrote above: "… local/county/state/federal regulations will apply so the expectation is these regulatory aspects are identified and complied with." Typically in those cases it's a safety issue so local/county/state/federal regulations may or may not (depends where you are) require calibration.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I concur completely with Marc. The jack is being used as a tool, it is NOT being used to evaluate the conformance or compliance of the product at any stage in manufacturing, and for this reason calibration per ISO9001 is not required.

HOWEVER, as Marc also correctly noted, there may be applicable local, state or federal regulations regarding the inspection and certification of lifting devices (I know there are here in Canada) which you may need to show compliance to, outside of your QMS documentation.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Good day Arshad,

Aside from the good advice regarding applicable regulations, I would not ask for calibration as per ISO 9001:2008 7.6.

However, if these equipment units are used in process I would inquire about maintenance as per 6.3. I would be especially interested to learn how your maintenance program helps ensure these jacks perform as expected when used in tandem.

Top Bottom