Are CQE refresher courses by local ASQ centers helpful in preparing for the exam?

C

Cognizant

Is CQE refresher course offered by local ASQ centers helpful in preparing for the exam ?

D

Duke Okes

Whether or not they're useful depends on things such as your level of experience with the relevant body of knowledge (BOK), how you learn best, and how much other work you're willing to do for the exam.

Refresher courses typically cannot cover the content in detail ... that's why they're called "refresher" courses. They do offer the opportunity to review the BOK, discuss various topics which you may be less familiar with, and practice & discuss example questions.

Typically you should expect to spend 100+ hours besides the time you spend in the course sessions in order to prepare for an exam.

D

David DeLong

I would say that they are absolutely necessary.

I love the term "refresher" since some of the topics were new to me and maybe not used that much in industry. If I didn't take the course, I would not have passed the exam.

Remember, only the top quartile pass.

BradM

Leader
Admin
I pretty much concur with Duke's post.

Will it be helpful? I could not imagine that it will hurt. Check with your local chapter and find out who would teach the class. Maybe talk with them and see what they think.

The classes I have taken have tended to be highly relevant to the actual exams/preparing for exams.

In the end, like Duke said it will depend on your own strengths/ weaknessess, and how much the class will be applicable to where you are. Too, there are costs in time and money, so that has to be factored in also.

K

Kevin H

Cognizant - I've set up to take the CQE and paid for CQE Refresher courses from my local ASQ section at least twice - each time life intruded and I had to put taking the CQE test on a back burner. Both times, they addressed areas that I had not worked with for some time, so I felt that they would have helped me pass the test.

I've also taken the CQA and CMQ/OE refresher courses offered by my section and felt that those refreshers helped me pass the associated tests the first time I time I took them.

I suspect that the value of the refresher courses may be partially dependent on the section and its committment to continuing education and its selection of instructors. I'm from western PA, so the section is centered around Pittsburgh, Pa.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Friends,

Sorry for butting in....

I have read the posts in this thread a few times and I started to wonder...Is the purpose of the ASQ (refresher) courses the enhancement of a person's competencies or just to help "pass the test?" Passing a test (IMHO) does not necessarily demonstrate competency....

What do my Fellow Covers think?

Stijloor.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Friends,

Sorry for butting in....

I have read the posts in this thread a few times and I started to wonder...Is the purpose of the ASQ (refresher) courses the enhancement of a person's competencies or just to help "pass the test?" Passing a test (IMHO) does not necessarily demonstrate competency....

What do my Fellow Covers think?

Stijloor.

I think the courses can do both, or neither. As I believe you allude, passing a test does not demonstrating competency, nor does not passing indicate any lack of competency. A lot is dependent on the instructor; but more importantly, the nature and purpose of the class.

ASQ does have components for both in getting the CQE. A satisfaction of competencies was required prior to being awarded the CQE. So one had to provide experience for the certification, and pass the exam.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
ASQ does have components for both in getting the CQE. A satisfaction of competencies was required prior to being awarded the CQE. So one had to provide experience for the certification, and pass the exam.

Hello Brad,

Thank you for your insights. You write in past tense, does that mean that ASQ dropped "past/current experience" requirements?

Stijloor.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hello Brad,

Thank you for your insights. You write in past tense, does that mean that ASQ dropped "past/current experience" requirements?

Stijloor.

I think they still have the requirements. It's just been a few years since I have gone through it, and I did not want to speak incorrectly on it.

Top Bottom