FMEA key date and FMEA Date (Origin) - Which one keeps changing

C

Ceplox maniz

When I read the terminology between FMEA key date and FMEA Date (Origin) on 3rd edition of FMEA manual reference, my first perception is key date will not change but FMEA Date (origin).

Any comments is appreciate. Thx.

Regards,
ceplox

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: FMEA key date and FMEA Date (Origin)-Which one keep changing

When I read the terminology between FMEA key date and FMEA Date (Origin) on 3rd edition of FMEA manual reference, my first perception is key date will not change but FMEA Date (origin).

Any comments is appreciate. Thx.

Regards,
ceplox

The AIAG FMEA manual, and its companion SAE document are vague on the requirements, which is in keeping with the generally obtuse nature of AIAG documentation. I'm looking at SAE J1739 right now because someone has apparently walked off with my AIAG manual :mad: but they are identical in this regard, I think:
Key Date--Enter the initial FMEA due date, which should not exceed the scheduled start of production date.
FMEA Date--Enter the date the original FMEA was compiled, and the latest revision date.

The "Scheduled start of production date" may change, and often does, so the PFMEA should be updated accordingly. On the other hand, the manual doesn't make it clear that there is a difference between the PFMEA process and the output document, so the phrase "...the date the original PFMEA was compiled..." isn't especially clear. I think they want the date that the original document was created, rather than the date when the PFMEA process began, but I prefer to use the latter because it's a more accurate indicator of the chronology.

So to answer your question, the due date might change, but in general the orgin date won't.

C

Ceplox maniz

It seems simple but very important to understand the concept behind FMEA.
Thank you in help me more understood Jim :)

B

bgwiehle

The "Scheduled start of production date" may change, and often does, so the PFMEA should be updated accordingly. ...I think they want the date that the original document was created, rather than the date when the PFMEA process began, but I prefer to use the latter because it's a more accurate indicator of the chronology.

So to answer your question, the due date might change, but in general the orgin date won't.

We use the date that the first draft of the document was created as the original date (which does not change), and apply revision dates for subsequent updates of the document. This agrees with Jim's reply.

Key date is murkier: this past year, because of one of our customers' demands, the key date field has been expanded: where we previous used start of production as our key date, now we must reference DC's PDDC date (product design & development complete) as the key date. This date is fixed for any particular program.

For our non-DC programs, the key date field also includes either next PPAP date or last customer approval date (ie. most recently completed PPAP). Since our PFMEAs apply to families of parts, these dates do change as programs evolve.

B.G. Wiehle

C

Ceplox maniz

Thanks Wiehle for additional explanation. I'm sure I will not confuse again in differentiate between Key date and FMEA date (Origin). :)

M

mentor - 2013

Hello sir, im new with the word DC then, what is DC stands for...

We use the date that the first draft of the document was created as the original date (which does not change), and apply revision dates for subsequent updates of the document. This agrees with Jim's reply.

Key date is murkier: this past year, because of one of our customers' demands, the key date field has been expanded: where we previous used start of production as our key date, now we must reference DC's PDDC date (product design & development complete) as the key date. This date is fixed for any particular program.

For our non-DC programs, the key date field also includes either next PPAP date or last customer approval date (ie. most recently completed PPAP). Since our PFMEAs apply to families of parts, these dates do change as programs evolve.

B.G. Wiehle

J

jerome_mecphils

:bigwave:in making generic process fmea, does key date could change?if there's no submission of PPAP? or any production run? ...our team decided to review the previous pfmea, and we used to separate a certain failure modes that we'd identify and transfer it to a another form...or we created a new pfmea for a specific failure modes from customerr issues..my question is should i come up with the same key date that from previous PFMEA had? of i should make a new key date for a new pfmea for a customer quality issues?

Top Bottom