Label Inspection - How to Set Goals for Inspectors - Label Manufacturer

G

goallout - 2009

Need help from all gurus out there. I have just joined a label printing company. We print many variety of label, big, small, from 1 to 6 color type.
I am assigned to come out a standard output per inspector at the final inspection process.
The difficulties I faced is because the label requirement can range from simple design to complex ... the inspection time taken also depends too.
I am expected to set target for the inspector so that I can measure their output performance daily.
Thanks

Q

Qaware

Perhaps labels can be divided into different classes/groups, reflecting their complexity. Maybe some kind of point system, a given number of points or range for each group based on the time it takes to inspect. You could then measure output as points per day. You need to do a study of the work beeing done.

Just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome to The Cove, Goallout! :bigwave:

We Deminguites will insist the objective is not to measure inspectors' output, but to perform measurements so as to reduce the need for inspection.

But if you must measure output, I advocate measuring successful output. If it is possible to inspect your labels and them have them returned because they should not have been passed, then accuracy should figure into the measurement.

I agree that scores based on the level of difficulty could work. A spreadsheet that calculates output based on:

low level of difficulty X volume of output
med level of difficulty X volume of output
high level of difficulty X volume of output

Add up the results.

But beware! Does one inspector get more high difficulty than another inspector, thus earning more "points"? If so, why is that? Will it result in inspectors feeling it is an unfair measurement? These questions can be difficult, which is one reason Deming said we shouldn't measure by such objectives.

The other reason is cost. How much does all that inspection cost? Are there many rejected labels? If these costs are high, the company can make more money by solving the problems that result in the need for all this inspection.

I hope this helps!

G

goallout - 2009

Thks.
I can agree that by solving the defect label in process will reduce the need to measure the inspector. However, I believe, in any industry, there is still a need to set some sort of target (for the employee measurement) so that you can compile the product leadtime to complete a certain qty to be committed to customer.
The suggestion to catagorize the level of inspection difficulities for the label is a good idea - but as pointed out, it still have its weakness in term fairness.
Well, is there anymore out there who can help me to find a solution to my request. Thks

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I am beginning to better understand what you are asking for.

I would run a test over a given period of time, using a sample of inspectors or all of them, and record how many labels are inspected.

If you run this or that type of label infrequently the test should be conducted separately for each product type. Otherwise, a mix of labels with the group of inspectors over a period of time could work.

Take the total number of labels over that period, and divide by the number of hours in the test period. Multiply that against the average hourly cost of inspectors (compensation and perhaps factoring in a portion of the total equipment needed) to derive an hourly cost of inspection activities.

If you want more sensitivity than that, divide this figure by the number of inspectors in the group doing this test. That should give you an average per-inspector-per-hour cost.

I hope I've made this clear. It's not a tremendously reliable statistical tool but it could help you get the basic data you need.

M

Murphys Law

I hope that you are asking for advice on implementing a Quality control system based on sampling and this is what the people are advising.

If you are asking for advice on throughput for your operators to do 100% inspection to weed out defective labels where their pay is dependent on this, this is wrong forum.

Top Bottom