Significant & Critical Characteristics Control Plan - Automotive Metal Stampings

D

deanklewis

We are currently updating our company Control Plan ready for TS16949 we are having to put on the SC & CC on the control plan .We produce metal stampings automotive .

We have agread to use criteria below

(1) Critical Characteristics

Product Characteristics or process parameter, which can affect safety or compliance with government regulations

(2) Significant Characteristics

Product Characteristics or process, which can affect fit, function, performance subs sequent processing.

The question is what controls are required for Significant Characteristics that are stated on Control Plans?

Any feedback would be appreciated :thanx:

as per recommendations Mike Walmsley (many thanks)

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Re: Significant & Critical Characteristics Control Plan

I moved your post to a more relevant forum.

Can you be more specific on what you mean? Obviously, all critical and significant characteristics should be on a control plan, and all items on a control plan need a control method. Are you asking whether specific control methods must be used for Significant Characteristics?

D

D.Scott

I think you hit it on the head Miner. That seems to be the question to me too.

Miner is right, you need a control method for all critical and significant characteristics. There are, however, no prescribed methods you must use. It is up to you to decide and define the control method you will use.

As you are in the automotive industry, you should be familiar with the AIAG publication "Advanced Product Quality Planning and Control Plan". This gives you all the basic information you need to complete the control plan. If you don't have it, you can order it by calling the AIAG at 810-358-3003.

Dave

D

deanklewis

Yes i meant are there specific control methods that must be used for Significant Characteristics .

As you state " all items on a control plan need a control method " but what are the diferent levels of control for Significant Characteristics and other items on the control plan?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
There are no prescribed control methods for significant characteristics published in the AIAG manual. However, there may be specific methods that a particular customer may expect to be used. For example a mistake proofing device would make most customers more comfortable than a first piece inspection at setup. Since this is typically a customer-specific issue, you should discuss it with your supplier contact.

The best type of control method is dependent on the manufacturing process for that characteristic. Processes may be classified as setup-dominant, operator-dominant, fixture-dominant, etc. A first part inspection may be a good choice for a setup-dominant process, but a bad choice for an operator-dominant process.

See the attached file for typical control methods for each type of process.

Attachments

• Control Methods.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 3,583
V

Vicman

When I was woriking for a automotive OEM supplier some of my customers like Ford, where asking us to use a SPC graph for my Critical and significant characteristics wherever was possible, and a CPK above 2.0 in the long term.
Not to mention to lower RPN number for these charcteristics in my FMEA.
I hope this will give you some insights.
Vic

Top Bottom