Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Just wondering how many people make use of IM.

I haven't in years because I found it too distracting.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Discordian said:
Just wondering how many people make use of IM.

I haven't in years because I found it too distracting.

I use it, but I have a special name for it: Telephone.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I use iChat (using the AIM 'system'), but not very much. Sorta like Skype - Sometimes now and again. As to the IM worm going around, I think you have to 'Accept' a file. On my Mac I doubt the worm would do anything, but it asks first if someone tries to send a file. If I'm not expecting it I don't accept it. This is sorta like the e-mail attachment issue and irc DCC - Too many people click 'Yes' to anything.

T

True Position

Recommendation

Look at GAIM, an open source multi-platform IM client.

https://gaim.sourceforge.net/

I've found it free of spyware, not as big a memory footprint as AIM, no advertising, and includes a very helpful esperanto spellchecker.

D

Don Palmer

No

No! For most of the same reasons already listed above. Too much :argue: :mad: :bonk: :whip: :jawdrop: :blowup: :drool:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
While not a fan of IM's cousin, cell phone text messaging, I've found it useful in a few instances when someone wasn't returning phone calls. Sending the simple text message, "All he11 has broken loose!" works wonders.

M

michelle8075

I hate to IM. So, I got rid of it. I hate it because I am trying to do something, and I get *ping* "Hey what are you doing"... I don't answer and I get a *ping* "Fine then... I guess your not talking to me"..... I hate when people know what I am doing. I set it to "Show offline" and even got in trouble because I send and IM message and the person was like "So what... your hiding from me". I'm like I don't have time for this. :mad:

I love however, cell phone text messaging... I am addicted. I use it all the time. I do some promotions work on the side, and it helps me out more than you know in a plethera of situations.

L

Laura M

I IM. I find it an easy way to have a quick conversation - like my son in college. Could call cell, but if I see him online and the only conversation is 'hey - did my package arrive?' then I don't make the phone call.

B

Bob_M

At home only!

I IM at home only.

I chat with my buddy who only lives 3 miles away.

We could use skype, yahoo voice, Xbox Live, Phone IM's - or GASP a phone!

I stay away from "chat" groups and strangers. (That's how I met my wife. I don't need any temptations. :lmao: ).

I mainly use Trillian (AIM, Yahoo, etc all in one program).

I have my "do not accept" IM's from stangers and "always" ask for files.

Top Bottom