"Simplified" AS9100 and ISO 9001 Internal Audit Checklists

D

dsh205

Hi All !!!

My name is Scott and I'm new to the Quality Engineering/Management world.

A little background on myself: I've work in the aircraft engine business since 1984. I have 10 yrs a as tool and die maker, 16 years as a manufacturing/design engineer and I've spent the last year splitting duties as a Project/Quality engineer. As of December 1st this year I've moved into quality full time.

Now to my question ....

I've spent some time searching but could not find, a "simplified" internal audit checklist for ISO 9001:2008 & AS9100C. The one which is currently being used is cumbersome and confusing to use. Does anyone have one that I could use or suggest a good place to purchase one from?

Thanks
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
C

ChrissieO

Re: Intro and internal audit question

Sorry I am not going to be much help as I can only suggest, don't use a check list. Check lists direct auditors to compliance tick box auditing and away from the true purpose which is to audit the process and can restrict the flow of an audit trail.

By following a process you will naturally cover clauses of the standards and over a annual audit plan you will almost certainly cover all elements of the standards to meet the requirements of the standards.

Chrissie

D

dsh205

Thanks Chrissie.

I understand following the process concept, but the checklist is the direction my management wants. Everything is to be brokeout section by section, personally I think this is done to appease the ISO/AS auditors.

Thanks
Scott

R

Randy Lefferts

Hi Scott and Welcome to the Cove.

At the top of any thread there is a graphic of a lighthouse that has the word "Solutions." If you look to the right of that you will see "Post Attachments List" and if you click on that, you can search for attachments that fellow covers have uploaded.

I did a search using the word "audit" and this is the result. You can further refine your search using different key words.

If you are intending to use a checklist to satisfy internal audit requirements from your standards, you may be unsuccessful. With the process approach, you won't really audit to a checklist like was done years ago. Checklists, imo, still have a use but not as an end all be all of an audit.

C

ChrissieO

Thanks Chrissie.

I understand following the process concept, but the checklist is the direction my management wants. Everything is to be brokeout section by section, personally I think this is done to appease the ISO/AS auditors.

Thanks
Scott

You may find that ISO/AS auditors themselves are now looking for the process approach.

To cover my "butt" and to ensure we cover all of the required clauses I have a cross reference matrix which I complete after every internal audit and as long as it is all showing green at the end of the time cycle of the audit schedule I know we are ok. This method works with our ISO/TS CB auditors so I am sure AS auditors would also see the benefits.

If you would like to see this matrix just let me know and I will send it you via PM

Chrissie

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

<snip> If you would like to see this matrix just let me know and I will send it you via PM <snip>
Any chance you could "scrub" it of company name, etc., and share it here as an attachment in a post?

D

dsh205

Thanks Randy

I guess I need to figure out how to use the search function.

D

dsh205

Thanks Chrissie,

I'll PM you hear shortly.

Scott

AndyN

Moved On

Thanks Chrissie.

Thanks
Scott

Scott - I'd suggest you do something to help them understand the error of their ways and what the internal audit should be doing for them, NOT because they think an auditor is good to matter in this!

There are many reasons why auditing shouldn't be to the standard(s) as the unique criteria. Plus, while on auditor might like it, what happens when another comes along and says "you're not doing a process based audit!"

Good opportunity here, for you to wow your management with a better approach!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

Thanks Randy

I guess I need to figure out how to use the search function.
It's kinda weird. The software doesn't have a built in search function for files attached to discussion thread posts, so I had to have a person write a special script. That's why there's a "special" search page for files attached to posts. I apologise for the inconvenience.

Top Bottom