History of TQM? Where did Total Quality Management come from?

G

greinhold

This is my first visit to this board. Great stuff. I see alot of information and insight on TQM but where did it come from?

Tx, Gary

R

Roger Eastin

Where did TQM come from? Kevin Mader or Don Winton could probably answer this better than I, but you could probably start with Deming, Juran, Crosby, and Feigenbaum! You can find the topic discussed earlier than this, but these folks put the "theory" behind it. Of course, nowadays, you can find it discussed almost anywhere with all kinds of flavors and twists. Check out the ASQ catalog.

D

Don Winton

<font COLOR=BLUE><BLOCKQUOTE>I see a lot of information and insight on TQM but where did it come from?</BLOCKQUOTE></font>

Hummmm. I really do not know the source of the request, but I will answer as best I can (exactly which question do you need answered)?

Personally, TQM is a misnomer that probably should have not been used in the first place. It was, in the 70's, a mis-translation of the Japanese term in use at the time, I believe (but am not sure) that it was taken from Feigenbaum's book title (perhaps Kevin could shed some insight).

Myself, I have a certain philosophy that I think should be followed in business and personally. Those are the thoughts I try to convey here when the opportunity presents itself. Thus, they are my thoughts that may (or may not) be prevalent among others here. I do try to share, and enjoy the feedback.

If you are reading my posts and responses, I assure you they are mine and mine alone. I just hope that if one, just one, has benefited, I am grateful.

Regards,

Don

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
I don't recall ever seeing a name beside the acronym but the information presented by Roger and Don is in keeping with what I thought might be its derivation.

When I read the question, the first thing that popped into my mind was the information presented in Masaaki Imai's "Kaizen". In his book, he is very deliberate in mentioning TQC (or CWQC) in Japanese thinking is very different than in Western cultures. This is in keeping with Don's recollection. When the Japanese think of Total Quality Control, they are not thinking of things like Inspection Technologies as is often the case here in the States. We relate Quality Control practices with Detection quality practices. Japan correlates TQC with Kaizen. When you read about TQM, they often describe the Seven Statistical Tools. In Japanese Kaizen, these same seven tools (and seven new ones) are described. The philosophy is also the same. IMHO, our definition of TQM is the same as Japan's definition of Kaizen (TQC or CWQC).

The roots of Kaizen as near as I can tell go back to the post WWII days in Japan. Influence of Deming and Juran helped to reshape the Japanese businessman. Sometimes overlooked, Feigenbaum's influence was also quite impactful.

His book Total Quality Control was released in 1951, and in it he details all aspects of Total Quality practices. He does not limit his book to the traditionally thought of Quality Control Practices (I have reread this book several times and find it to be the best source of information, especially for the novice Quality professional). Armand spends a good deal of time dealing with Process related topic and Process Control Engineering. This is definately in keeping with Kaizen.

Imai's book gives a great deal of credit to many notable Japanese figureheads in Quality. My best recollection is that he tended to give Kauru Ishikawa the greatest amount of credit in the TQC push. Ishikawa, a contemporary of Deming, Juran, and Feigenbaum was influenced by these men, and, these men were equally influenced by him. It could be that TQM as we know it was compiled by several great Quality gurus who, knowingly or not, contributed to it.

Well, just some thoughts coming out of my head. I think Don's comments are appropriate. TQM is a misnomer. It is perhaps a Western acronym for Kaizen.

Regards,

Kevin

G

greinhold

Those are all pretty good answers. I confess though that I know the answer, but wanted to see what the general knowledge of the genesis of the term TQM. It was actually coined by the Department of Navy(DON). Back in the mid 80's the Chief of Naval Materiel sponsored a research effort at the Naval Personnel Research and Development Center (NPRDC) in San Diego (a DON think tank), focused on determining whether some of the management methods being applied in Japan private companies would have applicability in the DON activities. As part of the effort to pursue quality the Navy sponsored two Deming seminars (my first exposure to quality by the way). NPRDC then developed training based primarily on Deming's System of Profound Knowledge and today they run probably the most comprehensive Quality training facilities in the country as does other major DOD and Federal organizations. Of course there is much more to the story but I just thought you might like a litle peice of American business history.

P

Paul Morrow

Gary
Do you now work in Hollywood? I can remember being exposed to the term TQM before the mid eighties. Either that or I'm so old I'm losing my memory

L

Laura M

Originally posted by Paul Morrow:
Gary
Do you now work in Hollywood? I can remember being exposed to the term TQM before the mid eighties. Either that or I'm so old I'm losing my memory

I thought mid-80's was about right. I was in school and co-oping when they started the QC circle thing, "EIG" Employee involvement groups and then I remember the TQM acronym. Could be we were behind the times, but I thought that TQM was the jump from "Quality department is responsible for quality" to "Quality is everybody's job"....I must admit, prior to the 80's I wasn't in industry so I don't have a Quality memory prior to about '83.

Laura

D

Don Winton

I thought mid-80's was about right.

I was actually first 'exposed' to the TQM thing in the mid 70's. Of course, the employer at the time did not have a clue as to what it was or how to deploy the philosophy (needless to say, I did not either). It was not until the mid 80's that my exposure was completed (although in the wrong and most useless way).

These days, my thoughts are my own and I do not much care for the TQM guru's around now. Seems most are only interested in making a name for themselves.

Just the ramblings of an Old Wizard Warrior.

L

Laura M

Well, I was with one of the Big-3 at the time, and they were usually about 10 years behind....so mid 70's is probably correct!
I'll admit that I was in HS at the time and basically clueless about industry, so it wasn't until the 80's that I really knew anything about the field of Quality!

R

Roger Eastin

Deming, like any other human being, had his faults, but he did have the media's attention in a way that no other TQM guru had it (or has it). I agree with Don. TQM is leaderless (or has too many "leaders") on a national level. (Perhaps, the situation is different on an international level.) It is left to those good managers (high-level) who know it's just good business. Deming was able to combine perseverence, good theory, and the ability to market TQM, all in one. Since TQM is a part of good business, it will always have a life of its own. It remains to be seen who makes the next big step in TQM. My bet is that it won't be someone in the U.S. - again.

Top Bottom