Chosing a Six Sigma Green Belt Project - Software Industry

H

Hameetha

I work in a software industry, i work in the filed of manual testing. I need some help on how to choose project for my green belt training. can any one suggest me some project related to testing

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
Well, I genuinely resist that six sigma has anything to do with software industry.
Six sigma is developed for discrete manufacturing having deterministic processes whereas software is created based on a stochastic process involving in vast majority cases human brains only.
Cheers!

D

DRAMMAN

Are you saying that Six Sigma continuous improvement methods have no place in SW development?

sagai

The core concept or principle of six sigma (which is the accomodation of the 6sigma statistics itself) is not applicable for software industry mostly due to the different nature of the defects we have here and the entirely different processes we face with in software industry.
Word of caution, six sigma was developed for discrete manufacturing!
Cheers!

D

DRAMMAN

I would have to disagree with that. Viewing 6S as simply defect reduction is a very narrow mindset. 6S was initially developed in a mfg environment because products were mfg driven and that is where the need was. 6S has developed way beyond mfg applications. I have personally seen it used very effectively in both mfg and SW development environments very effectively.

sagai

Mike, "accomodation of the 6sigma statistics itself" is not equivalent with defect reduction.
This mentioning a wee excessive, sorry.

I know and also experienced that there are large companies like GE that is trying to accommodate six/lean sigma for software development and I understand that if you are in such kind of company than my mentioning could cause a mental collision and first reaction is to reject that.
Other than that, I am happy to discuss if you have reasoning to be mentioned why would a deterministic process approach fit for purpose for stochastic processes like software development.
Cheers!

H

Hemanta Bhatt

Six sigma can be applied to any process whether it be manufacturing or software. One typical challenge faced in applying six sigma to software process is related to availability of reasonably reliable data. However, with automation and cultural interventions this can be overcome to a large extent.

For software testing process specifically, one can explore green belt project opportunities in areas such as test effectiveness, test effort versus yield, test coverage, post release quality, requirements traceability, etc.

H

Hameetha

Found this book use full . It speak about how software industry has applied six sigma concepts in their companies

six sigma software quality improvement by Vic Nanda and Jeffery Robinson

H

Hameetha

I want to take the below topic as a six sigma green belt project can any one help on the same.

Improving consistency of scoring for an annual staff performance appraisal process in order to reduce the perception of unfairness and favoritism associated with this proces..

I have identifies some tools in the define phase like project charter ..

F

flyin01

I want to take the below topic as a six sigma green belt project can any one help on the same.

Improving consistency of scoring for an annual staff performance appraisal process in order to reduce the perception of unfairness and favoritism associated with this proces..

I have identifies some tools in the define phase like project charter ..

That was a long opportunity statement. What is the actual problem?
Is the process a formal process with clear inputs and outputs?

"The perception of unfairness..." that sound abstract and not very measurable.

Top Bottom