What is the role of the Six Sigma Black Belt?

K

KuttyPapa

Dear Friends,
what is, or should be the role of the Black Belt in any organisation?
Kind Regards,
Kuttypapa

C

Curtis317

Dear Friends,
what is, or should be the role of the Black Belt in any organisation?
Kind Regards,
Kuttypapa
Some people would say the role of the black belt would be to break wooden boards ;-). However the role of a 6 sigma black belt would be to take on projects that would improve the companies bottom line. Either through scrap reduction or process improvements. However the 6 Sigma Projects that have been lead by BB's have often turned into song and dance shows with little to show for it.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
...the role of a 6 sigma black belt would be to take on projects that would improve the companies bottom line. Either through scrap reduction or process improvements.
the traditional role of the black belt is primarily focused on leading technical projects that improve the customer experience and quality. This will lead to reduction in costs. Black Belts are also expected to coach and mentor others in practical statistical methods and tools as well as other tools such as FMEA.
Some companies also expect BBs to have Lean skills in addition to Six Sigma.

:topic:
However the 6 Sigma Projects that have been lead by BB's have often turned into song and dance shows with little to show for it.

Perhaps this is your experience. It certainly isn't mine. Of course ANY mis-implemented program can and will result in dog and pony powerpoint engineering rather than true improvement. business too often values flash over substance.

P

pmg-20130220

Six Sigma is a set of tools and strategies for process improvement. It seeks to improve the quality of process outputs by identifying and removing the causes of defects (errors) and minimizing variability in manufacturing and business processes. It uses a set of quality management methods, including statistical methods.

S

shamhaider

In any progressive organization BB are considered as leaders who can spearhead improvement programs... the usually lead the teams ...resources are their disposal and companies depends a lot on outcomes of their projects.. We recently finished one BB project as major improvement in our assembly line.. resulted in improved cycle time, improved 5S, lesser rehjections, saving two operateros..

It all depends.. whether one wants a fanch Powerpoint Presentation for higher management...or really wants to utlize it as a tool for improvement...

H

Hemanta Bhatt

Six sigma black belts play an important role in leading and nurturing six sigma program in an organization more at the operational level unlike the MBBs (master black belts) who generally play more of a strategic role. However, since black belt and master black belt certification programs are not standardized and these roles come in different flavors across different organizations the above distinction may not hold true in all cases.

M

markspend01

Hey Guys my name is Mark.Well its my personal thinking that the major role of the Six Sigma black belt is monitoring groups of green belts who are accountable for most of the real Six Sigma perform within the structure.Thanks!!

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Mark - no doubt that is your experience. I've been at companies that operated that way. (it wasn't intended to be that way, tho and this is usually a sign that the company has a weak deployment based more on image than a true committment)

in my organization it doesn't work that way. (of course I'm in the position to get to make the rules...) we don't have green belts. Only black belts and trained people working towards certification. Our Black belts stay active in leading projects for many years and can mature to also coach teams. we use an approach similar to the old apprentice-journeyman-master approach

G

gam2086

Where can I find best and affordable training for Six Sigma black belt?

Top Bottom