5 Why analysis

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi Quality Supervisor1, this request can be answered many ways, depending on field, parts, devices, but some solid tools (there are amny and sometimes are a matter of experience or preference) to begin with are:
1) A Solid Initial Problem Definition is essential, one can use a 5 W 1 H, I can share a sample if needed
2) 5 Whys
3) Ishikawa or Fish-Bone Diagram
4) A 8D problem solving structure usually or in my experience can combine all the above...The Cove attachments section has samples of this

To be certain there are more, AND at least as many different but good professional insights from others @ The Cove...a great site indeed

Hope this helps...

Quality supervisor1

Starting to get Involved
Hi Quality Supervisor1, this request can be answered many ways, depending on field, parts, devices, but some solid tools (there are amny and sometimes are a matter of experience or preference) to begin with are:
1) A Solid Initial Problem Definition is essential, one can use a 5 W 1 H, I can share a sample if needed
2) 5 Whys
4) A 8D problem solving structure usually or in my experience can combine all the above...The Cove attachments section has samples of this

To be certain there are more, AND at least as many different but good professional insights from others @ The Cove...a great site indeed

Hope this helps...

Hi optomist1,
I have submitted 5W, but not the Investigation summary. The investigation is a requirement on customer SCAR.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Your customer is probably looking for a summary of the investigation and the evidence that supports each Why. This is to provide objective evidence that each Why is real and factual, and not just a theory concocted in a conference room.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
In some cases, in my CAR response, I will provide a narrative along with a "just the facts" 5-why response. I may explain what other functions I worked with in the investigation, what we saw, where we looked, how many samples we observed, explain the evidence we collected, maybe include a few annotated pictures, etc. ....

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
There's a lot of variation in what could go in an investigation summary. Some things you might want to consider including:

-A brief description of the problem.
-A brief explanation of the steps and tools used to investigate the problem.
-The root cause and any contributing factors.
-An assessment of the risk and mitigations.
-Any immediate corrections or CAPAs coming out of the investigation.

gracinda

Registered
2) 5 Whys

Hope this helps...
yes i need the sample of 5whys

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
The examples are thought provoking and horrible. The worst part is that it is a self serving page from Tap Root.

Top Bottom