7.3.7 Design and development validation questions

caloykim2003

Registered
Hi! I am trying to research on how to practically comply with 7.3.7 section of 13485. I currently work for a medical device software company. Perhaps somebody can help me out on these questions? It'd be much appreciated!
  1. Does (7.3.7) require the involvement of external participants (outside the company) such as actual users (such as doctors, midwives) during design and development validation/testing? Or is it okay that exclusively use internal resources such us the company's software testers and product owners to perform all of the validation activities?
  2. I cannot seem to find a sample validation plan and report template online for 7.3.7. Would anyone have sample of such documents?
  3. Is the rationale for choice of product used for validation also applicable for software medical devices? If yes, where does one typically include such information? In the validation plan perhaps?

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
For design validation, you should be using members of the final user population, and they should be independent of the design process or the product itself. The point is to ensure that users are able to use the product and understand how it is used. It is very unlikely that product owners and software testers are sufficiently impartial to perform the validation.

The validation plan is a product specific document, and one that would contain sensitive information. It is unlikely you will find one shared.

Yes, justify the choice of product in the Validation Plan or the Design Plan. You need to make sure the product being validated is representative of the design and a worst case.

Hi_Its_Matt

Involved In Discussions
I agree with what @chris1price says, except for the part about product being worst case. For design validation, the units should be "representative product" (to use the term from 13485). Design verification should have already demonstrated that the design inputs are satisfied by the design outputs, including when those design outputs are at the limits of their acceptable ranges. The purpose of design validation is to show that the design meets user needs. For that, I would nominal units (i.e., any units that pass their final manufacturing inspections).

Now, @caloykim2003, you mention you work for a software medical device company. I am going to assume that means your product is software-as-a-medical device. If you have not yet done so, you should check out the IMDRF guidance documents related to SaMD. In particular, you should review Software as a Medical Device (SaMD): Clinical Evaluation.

This guidance provides excellent information on the different facets of SaMD clinical evaluation, of which design validation is only a portion.
At the risk of oversimplifying things, as part of that clinical evaluation, you will need to demonstrate that:
  1. There is scientific validity between the outputs of your SaMD and the healthcare situation or condition it is meant to address,
  2. Your SaMD correctly and reliably processes input data and generates output data with the appropriate level of precision (accuracy, repeatability, and reproducibility), and
  3. The use of your SaMD results in meaningful, measurable, patient-relevant clinical outcome(s) related to the condition of interest.
#3 is a large part of your design validation effort. You won't get that by using internal resources to do the testing.

You should also review FDA's guidance document Applying Human Factors and Usability Engineering to Medical Devices. While not unique to SaMD, there is good information in here about structuring your validation testing. The takeaway from this document, as it related to your question here, is that (1) not only do your validation testers need to be representative of the population of actual users, but (2) the environment in which you perform the testing also needs to be representative of the actual use environment.

(Related to simulated use environment)
The conditions under which simulated-use testing is conducted should be sufficiently realistic so that the results of the testing are generalizable to actual use...
To the extent that environmental factors might affect users’ interactions with elements of the device user interface, they should be incorporated into the simulated use environment (e.g., dim lighting, multiple alarm conditions, distractions, and multi-tasking).

(Related to test participant selection)
The most important consideration for test participants in human factors validation testing is that they represent the population of intended users....
The number of test participants involved in human factors validation depends on the purpose of the test... in general, the minimum number of participants should be 15.

I know this is a lot, but hopefully it provides the clarity and direction you are seeking.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
To maybe put a bow on things...

IEC 62304 is recognized (FDA) / harmonized (EU - at least under MDD) so it's a good resource to provide overall software lifecycle direction; however, it admittedly punts on (software validation). The FDA guidance on principles of software validation may help some. If your software is considered "health software" then IEC 82304 provides a bit more guidance on validation (and, arguably, could apply beyond health software).

The info about HF that @Hi_Its_Matt cited is excellent. By and large, that pulls in IEC 62366 (Usability Engineering) but addresses the "how many users" question.

One additional thing I like to do is (structured) exploratory testing. Historically, testing has been script-based and that limits what testers can do. Get a good tester and unleash him/her on the software to try to break it. That's revealed a lot of edge cases that developers didn't originally consider (and would likely be found in the field).

caloykim2003

Registered
Thanks. @everyone! A lot of very helpful information here. Another question I'd like to ask: Is design and dev validation mandatory for every release of a medical software product, regardless if it is a major, minor, or patch release? Or is it only expected to be performed when there are design changes that may affect the intended use, safety, and performance of the product?

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Apologies, when I said "worst case" I meant if you have a range of products in a family, investigate the one with the smallest print, or that requires most force. Or preferably look at all of them.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Is design and dev validation mandatory for every release of a medical software product
Yes, but you can do a regression analysis to limit the scope of the (re-) V&V work. Any change you make is going to "touch" one ore more requirement. You should be able to see what those affected requirements are and limit the scope of testing to the tests covering those (and "neighboring" requirements). When there are safety aspects involved, even if not obviously affected by the change, we re-test those as well.

Back in the 90s (I think), I worked at a telecom company who applied a "minor" patch to software and the phone network for the entire east coast went out. Software changes are notorious for introducing new, unexpected bugs.

Top Bottom