A Six Sigma Challenge on Usenet - Does six sigma *really* save money?

rayhope

Starting to get Involved
One thing I want to say here is that Quality product is priceless. Sometimes we cant count what money saved if Quality product satisfy a customer is more than enough. Six sigma implementation is costly affair itself need lot of determination and attention. In business world people always compare OUTPUT cost with INPUT cost to have profit. In most Industry 6S not required at all they run with 3 S is enough. To bring up to 3S is actually money paid and even worth doing it (Six sigma Project). So this debate will going on whether we saved enough with 6S project or not? being BB we should not focus on what money saved by 6S project, it always to strike balance between INPUT vs OUTPUT. And yeah I agree glorifying anything beyond some extent is not good even incase of six sigma also. and hence we should always scrutinize the claim we made about savings. Ultimately its CUSTOMER who decide business is paying attention to Quality or not.

rayhope

Starting to get Involved
I think 6S suffers from a common malady – grade inflation. If a big shot starts any initiative at a company, it quite often happens that someone had better somehow show it saved money as expected, because otherwise the messenger(s) may be “shot” (figuratively of course!).

One more thing I have experience is We sometime select wrong project. Some project need quick fix approach. some need long term solution. So its not right to say its failure of 6S project because in many cases business don't want to invest lot of money to get good output. All problems need technical solution and in most cases Technical guy don't want to give credit to BB person even if the problem resolved by 6S methodology.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator

rayhope

Starting to get Involved
This is a rather old discussion - but I did want to comment on your last sentence. Unfortunately, by the time the CUSTOMER realizes (the hard way) that the SUPPLIER has a quality problem, it is too late. As an example, Peanut Exec Gets 28 Years In Prison For Deadly Salmonella Outbreak : The Salt : NPR
True indeed, its always debatable how Customers know about INVISIBLE quality attribute. That's why testing is required. That's where Ethics play a role. Businessmen should always ethical. Do what is right if you know its going wrong.

Top Bottom