Advice from The Elsmar Cove

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
Hello friendly people,

I was invited from eventual future employer to visit their manufacturing plant and see their processes. The company is really small compared to the company where I previously worked and is operating in the automotive field. The job position is for Head of Quality. During my visit I spent a lot of time in production and spoke with eventual future colleagues. I am not impressed by their technical skills and approach - no understanding of simple quality tools , such as 5WHY, Ishikawa, FMEA, no root-cause analysis, no PDCA, no process improvement initiatives, no action plans, no visual management of top defects and lack of 5S.

Another thing is that roles and responsibilities are not clearly defined and as it seems the person who is gonna take the job will have to deal with tasks that are normally done by industrial engineering and process engineering, in companies that are larger and have clearly defined organizational structure.

Certainly there is a lot to be improved in their production according to my observation and when I was asked what do I think , I shared some of my findings with the management, not sure if it was taken with an open heart by them :)

Has anyone been in similar position and what would be your advice when company philosophy and approach seems not in line with my expectation and understanding. Also is it better in such cases to aim for a very big organisation or perhaps a smaller one is the right choice? Any personal lessons learned will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Randy

Super Moderator
Are they making money YES or NO?

Get a full handle on what your charter is and the expectation are (Look before you leap)

If you try to do too much, too fast and too quick there will be, again, there will be backlash!

I remember Gen Schwarzkopf being interviewed by some know nothing reporter as to why all the hub-bub about Sadam's minefields and fortifications and the General came back with...."You ever been in a minefield?" Well of course the reported hadn't, and sitting in that briefing room was a close as that slug would ever get to one. I've been in a couple minefields, the type that was being discussed during that interview and the type you are going to go into..........A company like that is a minefield and you will need to tread lightly and be sure of your path.

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
My opinion only — you are probably better off in a larger organization. Your perspective is from a large org and the bureaucracy it develops. Small orgs operate differently. They do a lot of what you indicate but it may not be as obvious.
In this case it did not seem like they are putting any effort to improve. The product itself is not so complex in terms of design and execution, so they think they're doing really well, although the ice is very thin and can break quickly. The attitude looked more like: first we wait for the problem to occur and then we may try to solve it.

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
My experience of small organizations (20-60 people) is that everyone wears many hats, you have no choice. Everyone's job description was nothing more than a title.

I would as Randy has recommended; find out what they want from the position, say what you can deliver, go from there. Regardless, every new job is diving into the unknown.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
In this case it did not seem like they are putting any effort to improve. The product itself is not so complex in terms of design and execution, so they think they're doing really well, although the ice is very thin and can break quickly. The attitude looked more like: first we wait for the problem to occur and then we may try to solve it.
Not surprising and not necessarily a problem. Small organizations are easier to manage, especially if they are older. They may not be perfect, but don’t need to be. If you go there expecting to change their culture, you’ll be back here complaining that “management doesn’t care.” You’ll likely be unhappy. Good luck.

qualitystartup

Involved In Discussions
I think it's hard to get the full picture in a short visit too. As Golfman said, I feel like it's common for small companies to have quality tools and functions engrained into their day to day work, but it isn't actively reported as "this is the work of quality". They don't need the fancy terminology.

Small companies are a different breed. To reiterate what others have said, if you're in a small company you are either going to wear many hats or wind up frustrated and either be booted out the door or go running.

From your initial post, I tend to believe this might not be the best fit for you if you have so many concerns.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
My personal preference is for smaller companies. Yes, you have to wear many hats, and are responsible for tasks which are 'traditionally' outside the scope of your job title. But experience like this is how you learn and grow.
Big companies have their points as well......usually there is more access to funds for expenditures, and there is a broader knowledge base (although trying to access it can be a struggle).
In the end you need to decide what will fit YOUR needs the best. Some people thrive in small companies, others hate it, and can't wait to get out.

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
Hello friendly people,

I was invited from eventual future employer to visit their manufacturing plant and see their processes. The company is really small compared to the company where I previously worked and is operating in the automotive field. The job position is for Head of Quality. During my visit I spent a lot of time in production and spoke with eventual future colleagues. I am not impressed by their technical skills and approach - no understanding of simple quality tools , such as 5WHY, Ishikawa, FMEA, no root-cause analysis, no PDCA, no process improvement initiatives, no action plans, no visual management of top defects and lack of 5S.

Another thing is that roles and responsibilities are not clearly defined and as it seems the person who is gonna take the job will have to deal with tasks that are normally done by industrial engineering and process engineering, in companies that are larger and have clearly defined organizational structure.

Certainly there is a lot to be improved in their production according to my observation and when I was asked what do I think , I shared some of my findings with the management, not sure if it was taken with an open heart by them :)

Has anyone been in similar position and what would be your advice when company philosophy and approach seems not in line with my expectation and understanding. Also is it better in such cases to aim for a very big organisation or perhaps a smaller one is the right choice? Any personal lessons learned will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Hello, I am currently in similar predicament. You will need TONS of PATIENCE! Culture eats strategy for breakfast! lol

Top Bottom