American airports don't rank very well.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Hmmm.....

Didn't think I travelled that much, but I've been in 25 of them.

Philadelphia didn't even make the list...and rightly so. What a hole (my hometown...embarrasing)
Newark isn't even an airport...it's a bus stop with planes. Doesn't belong on the list.
London Heathrow is the most complained about airport I ever heard, yet it ranks well. I've always liked it.

Oslo, Stockholm, CDG, Frankfort, Munich, Copenhagen, Amsterdam...all nicely kept, as long as you don't have to find your way to the Paris Metro...that took me better than an hour to find the hidden staircase.

A friend I was travelling with had steak tartare at a food stand in CDG and loved it. Try surviving that in Newark!

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Friends,

American airports don't rank very well.....:mg:

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport is ranked #30... See who's ahead of us....

(broken link removed)

Comments?

Cincinnati is no longer a meaningful airport...not sure why it is on the list. For some reason, the "airport in a deserted cornfield in N Kentucky" made themselves so expensive they priced themselves out of the market. Their hub airline (Delta) flies few flights there anymore. ...Weird... It was a convenient airport.

American airports seem to be designed to be relatively functional terminals...but, lately I have noticed some of the bigger ones are attracting more interesting restaurants and such. Makes it more interesting.

john.b

Involved In Discussions
Some of that ranking order must have related to the polling method instead of how good those airports really are, as already implied in comments.

In my opinion Changi is that good, really better than any other airport I've been to. They have all sorts of services covered in ways other airports aren't even started on: free wi-fi that works, good food outlets and shopping, really convenient rail and taxi services, a butterfly garden, great kids play areas (with substantial equipment), reclining lounge chairs to sleep in, superior space use and decorations, very functional counter services, immigration, and customs, great handicapped services; it just goes on and on.

Incheon (Korea) had some bright spots but wasn't so great, in my opinion, so it seemed marketing hype somehow crept in there. Shops there were so-so, food selections limited and expensive, maps of the facility identifying services cryptic, and guest services support not so great. You could get a hot shower for free there (not a bad idea) but we were well into a long layover before we even figured out the lay of the place.

Bangkok's airport (where I live) is a beautiful building but counter and immigration services are ridiculously and notoriously slow, shopping and food all but non-existent, the taxi stand a nightmare (especially if you don't speak Thai--this at an international airport), and even basics like bathrooms and chairs are limited. It must be higher on this list than most American airports because of the polling method, it seems.

Top Bottom