Any training material on the 1-10-100 rule?

Getinspecs

Registered
I have recently taken role as QC manager of a team of inspectors who are great at inspecting but terrible at REV changes/design reviews.

At this moment I will be including them into my contract reviews to show them any changes before they even touch a physical first piece part, along with going through previous first piece reports, in-process run charts, and final inspection reports. This will be very time consuming and hope someone can give me an outside of the box idea on making this work long term.

Today was was my first day as quality manager and I caught 3 jobs that went to shop floor with issues.

One had a wrong Rev. Rev changed included radius spec which was a critical feature. (This will land on me and sales)

Other two had mixed/wrong dimensions for specific features on prints. Which I suspect is from copy/pasting of similar parts or past inspection data from old revs.

From what I gathered, My inspectors are not checking the REV # on the customer PO and matching it to the current drawing attached to the PO. I believe I can encourage them to do better in this area but what I may have trouble with is my inspectors getting first piece/final inspection to the actual print and not from retain data. They do this to save time, although I may stop them and hope someone can give me tips/info on how to improve this without affecting production.

Enghabashy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Controlling design changes is one of major task of design owner , if the design change is coming from Clint /customer ; hence the version & date of changes should be clear in DWGs, the 1st part produced samples should checked accordingly & approved before work order shop released ,
*in critical cases we can send the 1st samples to client for more check /approve as issue of validating the Design change ,
** the same process as above should be made from Design dept. if he is part of organization activity
***the obsolete documents including relevant previous work instruction & old drawings should be withdrawn from all points of use , the last versions as last status should be available in loction
****The 1st approval QC samples & control sampling plan should be designed with each shop process owner also as one of each process control

Enghabashy

8.3.6 The organization shall identify, review and control changes. the extent necessary to ensure that there is no adverse impact on conformity to requirements. ,retain documented information on: results of reviews authorization of the changes; actions taken to prevent adverse impacts.

* the review , verification & validation in basic design should be considered again when any change or modification need , the same stages should be considered by same responsible personnel as minimum conditions .

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I’ve been in your position before. Several times. Direct experience, seeing it at suppliers and observing other colleagues.

My experience is that ‘training’ and persuasion by themselves will have no effect on creating a turnaround. Certainly training and persuasion are necessary but they are nowhere near sufficient. The critical people that drive the current behavior have invested their worth and/or egos and therefore continued employment, in maintaining the status quo. Your inspectors will simply bide their time until you take your crazy ideas to another company. The inspectors are taking shortcuts because they believe their jobs depend on it - probably this comes from manufacturing being adamant that the inspectors can’t effect manufacturing.

So now you have two obstacles: your inspectors and “manufacturing”.
1. Be very clear what the expectations are for your inspectors. If they don’t change - start disciplinary actions. I know that sounds draconian but in my experience only a few people will change their behavior because it’s the right thing to do. Some will be relieved to change and others will harbor the certain knowledge that manufacturing will take you and them down if behaviors change. Be clear in your expectations and tell them why; give specific examples with cost from your current organization (no one cares what happened in another company and especially a different industry because “they are different”).
2. Remember that manufacturing is just one cog in the entire system of getting good parts to your customer. Be firm on your reasons and again provide specific examples from your organization. It’s about the system not QA, Design, Purchasing, the Customer, manufacturing, suppliers etc. as individual stand alone entities. Divided you fall, united you stand…

Now I know some will say this is harsh advice but in my experience in being successful in turns arounds and unsuccessful, this is the only thing that I have seen work…you don’t have to be mean or abrasive but you do need to firm and consistent and use actual data from your own organization.

Enghabashy

as details above; each DWG & relevant order should transfer to Inspection form , Each form should reflect : 1- the each requirement & relevant specs. " Dimension ; tolerance acceptance criteria , ---etc
2- the results & measured value for each parameter , each inspector should record the results in the sheet / form & signed
3- each 1st off samples should be kept as evidence of item measured
4-there's no release / continuing the process before approving the results & 1st off sample
5- QC activates didn't accept non competent personnel , members should be selected from personnel who are involved in manufacturing processes & selected from supervising technical activities

Top Bottom