Anyone know what these are called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Regalado

Trusted Information Resource
Thank you all.

MIREGMGR I don't think we have OCR protection here. I have to verify this with the power company. But that is exactly why I'm not too excited of opening the fuse box without proper tools or the right experts with me.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
:topic:
I have a story to tell about a licensed union electrician I hired for my company to install some three phase motors up in the rafters of our plant. I shut down the shift on Saturday morning so the electrician and his helper could work unhindered. His helper didn't show so I ended up helping with the grunt work of hoisting the motors. All the while we worked, he regaled me with stories of how difficult it had been to get into the union's apprenticeship program, but now he was a MASTER JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN!

After wiring everything up, we went to the circuit breaker box to flip the power on for the circuits. As he worked and talked, the electrician waved his Klein pliers around and accidentally hit a live circuit on the box. I had to hit him with a body block to break him loose. He was only shaken, but I was a wreck. I could just imagine explaining a dead body to the police if it had gone sour. The Klein pliers were welded to the box, requiring a complete replacement of box AND pliers.

Attachments

• Kleins.jpg
    Kleins.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 260

normzone

Hey, I own a pair of those ! Always wondered what they were for.

I'll go find a live wire and smack it with them when I get home.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Most of the time, I hear folks in the field call those "Linesman's Pliers" or simply "Liners". Heavy duty for twisting multiple heavy gage solid conductors, with a wire cutter built in that can cut the twisted result. Typically they are heavily insulated on the handles.

I wouldn't reach for anything else when trying to wire-nut 3x12 gage wires...

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
The pair of Klein linesman pliers in MY toolbox belonged to my grandfather, and are definitely more than 100 years old and work just fine. They've been in my possession and regularly used since 1964
KLEIN:

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web

1539283184224.jpeg 1539283184224.jpeg
www.kleintools.com
Klein Tools was founded in 1857 in Chicago, Illinois by German immigrant Mathias Klein. The first tool Klein made was a pair of side-cutting pliers for a telegraph lineman. ... In 2006, Klein Tools moved its corporate headquarters to Lincolnshire, IL.

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
A few years ago a lad who worked here got an electric shock from a broken pump cable immersed in water. Luckily we run 110v power to our pumps so it just gave him a jolt and he was ok, as a first aider and the H/S manager I ran to check on him as I had heard his yelp. I asked him what had happened so he decided to show me instead of telling me and electrocuted himself again :bonk:It was an interesting report I wrote after that incident.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
he decided to show me instead of telling me and electrocuted himself again :bonk:

Seen that one...though not with electricity...
Reference the "Operator Error as Root Cause" family of threads on here...you can't get operator error to zero...your example is a perfect reason why...

We're human, and to err is human...some leave you scratching your head though...

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
Seen that one...though not with electricity...
Reference the "Operator Error as Root Cause" family of threads on here...you can't get operator error to zero...your example is a perfect reason why...

We're human, and to err is human...some leave you scratching your head though...
Worked with quite a few over the years what you would call special cases, one I work with now I wonder if he has to be reminded to breathe by his mother when he leaves the in the morning. Hes a great lad to work with and in relation to his job is brilliant but how he survives in the outside world is a mystery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom