AS9003 7.4.3 Critical Raw Material Verification Advice

T

Tara Lynn

Good Afternoon,

Does anyone have advice on an appropriate sampling plan for the verification of chemical analysis test results on raw materials? Our company has been AS9100/C compliant & AC7004 certified for several years now, but we recently had a customer require us to follow the AS9003 standard. As a result I'm looking to come up with an acceptable frequency for outsourcing verification testing on AL6061 stock. Anyone out there still following this requirement for DoD manufacturing, and have a recommendation?

:thanx:

T

tonefordays

Re: AS9003 7.4.3 Critical Raw Material Verification

Hello Tara,

I'm not sure how the verbiage is stated in AS9003, however in AS9100 I believe the the requirement states "The organization shall periodically validate test reports for raw material." Based on this requirement, we will send random material samples in for testing at a minimum of once per year unless required by a customer. This is based on our own risk analysis. So I would say unless your QSM or customers require otherwise, "periodically validate" is based on what your company decides is "periodically".

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

I'm not sure how the verbiage is stated in AS9003, however in AS9100 I believe the the requirement states "The organization shall periodically validate test reports for raw material."
That was in the Revision B of AS9100, but removed (poor risk management) in Revision C.

There is no set frequency, but, Boeing Commercial Aircraft has changed their quality clause to address that and it reads:
Schedules for frequency of tests will be established by Seller based on historical performance of the raw material supplier
Seems sensical, IMO, to adjust the frequency of the independent check, based on the historical performance and material criticality, as well. I would also consider how well my suppliers monitor their vendors to adjust the frequency of such checks.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

Good Afternoon,

Does anyone have advice on an appropriate sampling plan for the verification of chemical analysis test results on raw materials? Our company has been AS9100/C compliant & AC7004 certified for several years now, but we recently had a customer require us to follow the AS9003 standard. As a result I'm looking to come up with an acceptable frequency for outsourcing verification testing on AL6061 stock. Anyone out there still following this requirement for DoD manufacturing, and have a recommendation?

:thanx:

AS9003

7.4.3 Verification of Purchased Product

The organization shall establish and implement the inspection or other activities necessary for ensuring that purchased product meets specified purchase requirements.

Based on supplier performance reviews [see 7.4.1(b)], verification activities shall include, as applicable:

a) obtaining objective evidence of the conformity of the product from the supplier (e.g., accompanying documentation, certificate of conformity, test records, statistical records, process control records);

b) review of the required documentation; and c) inspection of products upon receipt.

Where the certification test reports are utilized to verify purchased product, the organization shall assure that data in the test reports is acceptable per applicable specifications.

For raw material that may be used in ?critical item? applications, the organization shall independently validate the accuracy of test reports in accordance with a statistically based sampling plan. Where validation is outsourced, the test facility shall be formally qualified to perform the required product testing.

Where purchased product is released for production use pending completion of all required verification activities, it shall be identified and recorded to allow recall and replacement if it is subsequently found that the product does not meet requirements.

OK... is the raw material used in "critical item" application - if so... request from the customer their sampling plan.

T

Tara Lynn

Thanks everyone for the responses! We determined to go with periodic test based on risk assessment.

Top Bottom