AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration

darkopsghost

Involved In Discussions
I don't think I was at that particular party. :p

I come from an Electronics background, PMEL where "Calibration" is the act of changing a value say of a potentiometer to a zero crossing or a certain bias value. Most hand measurement tools (not meters) are more of a verification of their accuracy to an NIST or other Standard. Micrometers could be adjusted by changing the barrel to zero prior to verification, but would do nothing if it was out at some other locationwithin the verification process. If a measuring device is out, it is out and would require more than what most companies could do ain house nd would require being sent back to the manufacturer or in most cases just replacing the tool.

As for tools that live in an uncontrolled environment mentioned in other comments, we bring those items into a controlled environment and allow them to stabilize prior to verification and noting temperature and humidity the verification record allows a certain amount of repeatability.

The only things I send out for calibration are my standards; gauge blocks, gauge pins, setting ring, meters, gauges, and electronics. We are an FAA Repair Station and we use portable Hot Bonders which we send back to the individual manufacturer. Meters, gauges, and standards all go to qualified Cal. Labs and are calibrated to NIST Standards. That Trace is recorded on each item we perform verification to and becomes part of that verification record. I have also found as long as an instrument or tool is pulled from the floor and quarantined prior to a Due Date that drives a newer Cal Date on that instrument, keep the original Aniversery Date for subsiquint calibrations. Changiing dates around will raise an eyebrow quicker than most anything.

I am audited by our customer, Military DoD DCMA, and our AS9110 Registrar and the same procedure basically passed NADCAP as well without issues for many years when we did new manufacturing and were AS9100 and have never had a finding concerning calibration/ verification. The most important thing is to have a documented process, training for that process, trace on what you accomplish, and don't paint yourself into a corner by saying something that you cannot perform and also insure that it meets the requiremnts of your customer. They pay the bills so insure you follow their desired path.

ASDriven

Starting to get Involved
The only things I send out for calibration are my standards; gauge blocks, gauge pins, setting ring, meters, gauges, and electronics.

Wow, thank you for the awesome insight and advice! Showing/capturing & maintaining traceability for the AS9100 standard is going to be the biggest hurdle as 75% of the workforce are legacy machinists and are well set in their ways. I'm fighting an uphill battle but doing my best to integrate the current technology to make their lives a little easier while maintaining R&R.

It always look easy on paper...

Top Bottom