AS9100 work for another site outside scope

Louise.Parker

Starting to get Involved
One of our AS900 location (we will call them "AVID") is listed on our AS9100 certifications with only service scope. AVID is considering doing manufacturing work within our facility for another one of our divisions (NSD) which has a different AS9100 certificate, and AVID is Not listed on their As9100 certificate.
Questions are:
We have our recertification audit in June,
1. If AVID does the manufacturing work for NSD can our 3rd party auditors look at this process and audit it during our upcoming recertification audit?
2. Can our 3rd party auditors write us a nonconformance for AVID not having manufacturing under our scope even though they aren't doing work for us but the work will be performed in our facility?
3. Should we, or are we required to request an exclusion for our upcoming recertification audit for this portion of the work even if the work isn't for our division (but work will physically be performed within our site)?.
4. Other than clause 4.3 determining the scope, what other clauses would apply to this unique situation?
5. Anything else I am missing?

Big Jim

Admin
This is really a conversation you should be having with your certification bodies.

Still, I'll make some comments.

If NSD is treating the situation as though AVID (the not certified portion of the facility) is a supplier you might be OK. Keep in mind that NSD still need to control the manufacturing as an outsourced process (contract manufacturer). Basically, they need to be vetted. There needs to be a record of the vetting. Performance of the supplier monitored.

Louise.Parker

Starting to get Involved
This is really a conversation you should be having with your certification bodies.

Still, I'll make some comments.

If NSD is treating the situation as though AVID (the not certified portion of the facility) is a supplier you might be OK. Keep in mind that NSD still need to control the manufacturing as an outsourced process (contract manufacturer). Basically, they need to be vetted. There needs to be a record of the vetting. Performance of the supplier monitored.

Great thanks for the feedback. I also figured it would be more under NSD responsibility to manage them, which they are doing, I just want to see if there is anything I need to do on our end to protect our division.

Louise.Parker

Starting to get Involved
Agreed completely. We are working together to make sure the process is working.
Another question. Even if the other site is using them as a supplier, are they required to have manufacturing under their scope on our cert, or does it just depend on what NPS required of their suppliers.

Big Jim

Admin
Agreed completely. We are working together to make sure the process is working.
Another question. Even if the other site is using them as a supplier, are they required to have manufacturing under their scope on our cert, or does it just depend on what NPS required of their suppliers.

You are not limited to suppliers that are certified, that is unless there are customer or other interested parties that require the use of a certified supplier. So, no, the activity in your facility that your sister company is using as a vetted and controlled supplier does not require that part of your activities to be certified.

I'm not saying that it would not be a best practice though.

Top Bottom