Buy a "refurbished" laptop computer?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Today, I received email ads from compusa offering "refurbished" laptops for less than $400.

Basics:
Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5974 PSLCJU-002002 Refurbished Notebook PC - AMD Sempron SI-42 2.1GHz, 3GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.4" TFT Display, Windows 7 Home Premium

Toshiba L455-S5975 PSLY0U-00V001 Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Celeron 900 2.20GHz, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Dell Inspiron 1545 Refurbished Notebook PC – Intel Celeron T3000 1.8GHz, 3GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6” WXGA, Vista Home Premium

HP G61-511WM VM355UA Refurbished Notebook PC - AMD Sempron M100 2GHz, 3GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" HD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
My question: Are these a good deal or am I buying trouble if I buy one [or more]?

If it's a good deal, which is the better machine of the four?

L

LNeJame

Re: Buy a "refurbished" machine?

Today, I received email ads from compusa offering "refurbished" laptops for less than $400.

My question: Are these a good deal or am I buying trouble if I buy one [or more]?

"Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5974 PSLCJU-002002 Refurbished Notebook PC - AMD Sempron SI-42 2.1GHz, 3GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.4" TFT Display, Windows 7 Home Premium"

This is probably the best out of the 4 you listed.

Refurbished doesnt necessarily mean they are trouble. However you dont know if it was a return or something else that the manufacturer just repackaged and sent back, so there is always some risk with refurbished electronics....

I have heard some horror stories where there have been viruses on something like a video camera and when the person plugged it into their computer it infected the computer.

If you want my personal opinion, i wouldnt even bother with any of these... not because they are refurbished but because they are kind of crappy... IMHO
Its mainly the processors, they would be incredibly slowwwwww.....

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

When I looked a refurbished, I look at the difference in price to a new product, warranty and importance of the device (if it dies, do I?). I have been burned by Compaq/HP laptops, so they do not impress me. No opinion on Toshiba. I need a bulletproof laptop at a reasonable price, so I go with Sony. I am done playing with cheap toys. Now, I would consider a refurbished Sony - and sometimes they have them on their site.

S

Sorin

It depends what are you using it for....either way I'll go with a new laptop.

You can have good laptops at less than 500. It's not worth the trouble.

L

LNeJame

What will you be using this for? what is most important to you, speed? capacity? battery life? display?

Here is a pretty good deal, (broken link removed)

Its a bit more expensive than the ones you listed but its a ton better.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sorin

What will you be using this for? what is most important to you, speed? capacity? battery life? display?

Here is a pretty good deal, (broken link removed)

Its a bit more expensive than the ones you listed but its a ton better.

THAT's an excellent deal....

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I worked part-time in a Magnavox (Philips) outlet store in the early 90s, and I can tell you that there can be wide variety of things that are called "refurbished." Some are new and have never been opened. OEMs usually have non-competition agreements with retailers that prevents them from selling new product at retail unless it's been marked as refurbished. In other cases, product may have been used as in-store demo units, or may have been returned by consumers because a husband got it home and his wife ordered him to take it back. With the Magnavox/Philips products, the item numbers were coded such that we could tell whether a given unit was new, repackaged, or actually refurbished (repaired, e.g.) and might have cosmetic issues.

We had very few returns for quality issues, and I still have a working VCR and VHS-C camcorder that I bought there.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

I have looked at a lot of refurbished items, bought several, and generally been well satisfied. Here's what I have determined:

I do not see any control of the term "refurbished." I look carefully on the site for details of what it means. It could be, for example, a range of things like:

• An open box demo item with no manual or typically included peripherals that's been given a once-through and cleaning on the workmen's bench.
  • A complete, new-or-nearly-new returned item (those aren't supposed to be sold as new).
  • An item that was returned with a problem, replaced, fixed, given a once-through and cleaning and sold as refurbished.
Pay attention to warranty, price and model - compare against new.

Customer service matters, as does their treatment of "Refurbished" like I described above. Look up the company on sites like Ripoff.com to see if they have a bad reputation. I also look up various consumer reviews of the product itself; I like to spend my money on something with a good reputation.

I hope this helps!

T

True Position

THAT's an excellent deal....

I'll agree, that's a much better deal as well. Also checking the deal sites for coupon codes for Dell can find some really nice deals on the Studio 15 for $600-800.

D

DrM2u

As a rule of thumb I stay away from refurbished laptops and big brand names (i.e. Dell) for the following reasons:
- unlike desktops, it is harder to replace components in a laptop if anything goes wrong after the warranty expires
- some of the big-name companies use specific (read 'customized') components and this makes it harder to upgrade at a later time using standard components; in my ignorance I once fried a Dell desktop by using standard memory modules for an upgrade

These being said, I like to build my own desktops using standard components (done it a few times with success). As far as laptops goes, I would only buy a new one that meets MY needs even if it costs a little more than an off-the-shelf configuration. One of my favorite brands is ASUS, with HP as a second choice and Acer as a third. I have nothing against the likes of Toshiba, Lenovo, Sony and Dell but I just don't like paying extra for the brand name.

I would suggest that you look on-line at Newegg for pricing comparison. IMHO they have some of the best deals available and have a very good reputation for customer service (returns, replacements, refunds, etc).

Top Bottom