Covid discussion in other countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

john.b

Involved In Discussions
Greetings! Been awhile. A notice had me check in here, which isn't mostly about process issues, but I'll start with a short update about that.

We've been working on a GDPR derivative compliance process a lot, for the related Thai law (PDPA). A sister company implemented ISO 27701 last year, a Personal Information Management System, which we supported. We're doing a bit with anti-corruption formal process just now. We have 20k and 27k already certified, for a data center company.

On the main personal front, I was going to update how covid goes where I am now, in Thailand. Vaccinations just aren't mainstream at all yet, but then disease impact also isn't. Thailand did a hard lockdown in March through May in 2020 and the disease just wasn't here until it returned in December. We traveled a lot within Thailand last year. The renewed outbreak, limited mostly to an immigrant community in a province not far from Bangkok, led to partial shut-down in January to February, and status isn't clear now but close to it. 90-some people have died from corona virus in Thailand, officially, and the real number is probably low.

I talk to people in other countries in Asia regularly, especially in India, Vietnam, Laos, and China, and their experiences all vary. It was only ever widespread in India, and something really strange happened there related to a drop-off in case counts. Maybe a change in testing process just changed the official counts, or maybe something atypical happened related to real exposure. Since they don't keep much in the way of cause of death stats in India that impact never was known, and never will be.

Vietnam barely had virus impact, as we also didn't here. For the same reason; they shut down the country completely, both initially and when re-exposure happened. I really don't know how vaccination is going to go in both places. It's problematic, not necessarily mostly for getting the vaccines here, but related to an overall cost. Poverty isn't an issue here to the same degree it is in India, where the poorest half are getting by on very little, but relative wealth is lower than in the US. The government supports health care for the poor but it's complicated how that works out, too long to really go into.

The main impact has been foreign tourism shutting down. At a guess Thailand parted with about 15% of it's economic base related to that, and other forms of international contact and indirect impact might have eliminated another 5%. That's a guess; it could've been higher. Thailand re-opened with a mandatory two week quarantine at the end of last year but that's too much to ask of tourists.

In a sense that impact feels lower because it's limited to only some segments of the economy, not a general hit, and it didn't roll through to broader impact as much as it seemed it would. I really expected this to trigger a real estate bubble crash that I had been expecting, but that didn't happen. What do I know about such things, I guess.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Indeed, these countries have nearly two decades of experience in dealing with Sars type epidemics.

...not sure why this region didn’t develop a vaccine.

john.b

Involved In Discussions
China does produce a vaccine. I thought India had been working on one, and I've heard a Thai version is under development.

john.b

Involved In Discussions
So it was like some sort of a contest, instead of about resolving health impact? The US has experienced around 550,000 deaths, and Thailand around 100 (with both real numbers higher). If it is to be taken as a contest it will take creative scoring for the US to have won.

monoj mon

Trusted Information Resource
but why suffer nearly two decades of Sars before developing a vaccine?
I won't defend or criticize the Indian government for its policies on healthcare here. But, what I speculate, from the lack of greater interest on developing a SARS vaccine, is probably that the widespread need wasn't there until 2020. As can be seen here. Additionally, we also can't say that infrastructure wasn't there as even if we ignore the manufacturing capability of "Serum Institute of India" (besides Covaxin) currently 4 more indigenous vaccines are in the pipeline for the future demand.

Last edited:

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Thank you, here we see the key reason reported in Wikipedia:

“As of 2020, there is no cure or protective vaccine for SARS that has been shown to be both safe and effective in humans. According to research papers published in 2005 and 2006, the identification and development of novel vaccines and medicines to treat SARS was a priority for governments and public health agencies around the world. In early 2004, an early clinical trial on volunteers was planned. A major researcher's 2016 request, however, demonstrated that no field-ready SARS vaccine had been completed because likely market-driven priorities had ended funding.”

monoj mon

Trusted Information Resource
because likely market-driven priorities had ended funding.
This was the major driving force, at least in terms of vaccine development "Lack of Funding". I hope government, investors, innovators across the globe will now understand or work harder on this loophole too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom