Covid discussion in other countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

john.b

Involved In Discussions
I don't keep up with pandemic news stories from lots of countries but the UK status looks stable from the case and deaths stats.

They experience around 130 deaths per day, in a stable form, versus the US at around 2000 now. That's based on a population of 66 million versus 330, so a country 1/5th the population at 1/15th the mortality stat. They are at 67% fully vaccinated (based on Google's stats), versus the US 56%, so both countries have room for the disease to spread and kill plenty of people, but the UK still might be ok with that impact.

The US can sustain that current level too, 2000 deaths per day, with the related 700,000+ deaths in the next year, and ICU's as filled as that relates to. In both cases the countries are going to run out of people that haven't had covid eventually, or a lot of the highest risk category anti-vaxers will already be dead at some point.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
I actively avoid all news stories, about any subject, from any source. To the extent that I still look at the pandemic, I rely on the data posted to worldometers. It confirms that cases have been stable for a month or so, and deaths are up slightly, but also seem stable, and are still strikingly low.

United Kingdom COVID: 7,736,235 Cases and 136,375 Deaths - Worldometer

I am nowhere close to motivated enough about the matter to explore the situation in "the EU," but I looked at Italy, where cases have been declining for the past month, and Germany, where they seem to be stable or declining.

Italy COVID: 4,665,049 Cases and 130,807 Deaths - Worldometer
Germany COVID: 4,212,201 Cases and 94,049 Deaths - Worldometer

This isn't to say the UK and other European countries might not be going for another lockdown, but if they do, to my mind, it will not be due to COVID-19. At least, not unless things take a decided turn for the worst between now and then.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
This thread is closed to further replies. At one time we had a "Controversial Topics" forum here, and it was gotten rid of, probably for the best. Any thread on the generalities of Covid-19 is bound to take an unfortunate turn at some point, so we should limit discussions of it to its effects on business and our companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom