CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) - NEW ASQ Certification

R

ralphsulser

I don't think you are wasting your time getting ASQ professional certifications.
The CQA and CQE are very well recognized in the industry. Pursuing those would be an achievement to enhance your professional standing.
I have been an ASQ member for over 20 years, and a senior member for over 10, plus a CQE, and also a RAB accredited ISO/TS16949 Lead Auditor. The CQE has been the most beneficial for learning, and ability to improve systems. The Quality Analyst is a good first step. While there has been some negative discussions here about ASQ, it is more directed at the administration than the professional certifications. You are thinking in the right direction.
Hope this helps provide some positive background.

T

Teresa1000

ralphsulser said:
Hope this helps provide some positive background.

Yes it does! I will continue on my path. If all else fails, at least I will be learning along the way.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Ralphsulser has nailed it. :agree:

While the certification itself holds varying value through perception and results, I've maintained that the real benefit is in the learning process. I've gained a lot through my certification efforts, though the tangible value of those letters is uncertain. They may have contributed to my getting my current auditing job, but I was told that taking the 14001 Lead Auditor course was what elevated me among my many worthy competitors. The truth is, one can never be sure if those titles really are worthwhile.

I haven't seen the certification, but the name seems to me it should be a Body of Knowledge (BOK) element of Certified Quality Auditor. I am unconvinced the business world needs a footlong string of certifications whose BOKs overlap. My sense is that they, as a laundry list of specialties, may tend to dilute the idea of certification's value while not intending to at all. Current business conditions demand we become more versatile and well rounded, not less.

M

mtncrawler

Jennifer Kirley said:
Ralphsulser has nailed it. :agree:

Me too.

When I self-studied (which included real-world experience) and then passed the CQE exam 14 years ago, it really setup a great basis (statistical, theoretical, practical) of understanding that has paid lots of dividends over the years. I have spent the last 14, mainly as a mfg engineer, and that period has proved invaluable. It spurred me towards my SME cert as well.

It was nice to have the Six Sigma "toolbox" before it became "Six Sigma's toolbox". :rolleyes:

I have since let the certification lapse, but I'm not sure that keeping it current would have been beneficial overall. I use the skill set everyday and try to keep up otherways.

I can't speak for how ASQ operates today (or how legitimate the new certifications are), but I would encourage anyone interested in self-learning to look into certification as one step in rounding out the knowledge.

L

lesliedo

T1000:

I was upset on the reply to the new certification. I was hoping somone could give me some help on books that would help me pass the certifcation. Can anyone recommend books and training to get this certification?

:confused:

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
lesliedo said:
T1000:

I was upset on the reply to the new certification. I was hoping somone could give me some help on books that would help me pass the certifcation. Can anyone recommend books and training to get this certification?

:confused:

Lesliedo,
Quality Council of Indiana and ASQ have good exam preparation materials for this certification. You could also use reference texts like:

Benbow, David, Elshennawy, Ahmad, and H. Fred Walker, The Certified Quality Technician Handbook, Milwaukee, WI: ASQ Quality Press, 2003.
Gryna, Frank, Quality Planning and Analysis: From Product Development through Use, Fourth Edition., NY: McGraw-Hill, 2001.

If your Local ASQ section has refresher course on CQIA or CQT, you may join. CQPA is not a big stretch from those bodies of knowledge.

Regards,
Govind.

Last edited:
Q

QualChk

Im looking to take this in December and have been studying a little bit when I have some time. Im curious as to how in depth the questions will be?? I have general knowledge about most topics(the math i definitely will need some more refreshing). Is the exam open book? or do I need to have a solid understanding of everything? Any tips on the exam would be appreciated, this will be my first ASQ exam and I'm just a bit nervous :confused:

Top Bottom