Customer audit report review and approval

sallyann

Starting to get Involved
Very quick question for anyone listening.

We have just received a draft customer audit carried out last week. Is there a certain amount of time, or a certain procedure that they have to follow with regards to issuing the final report. We have only been given till 7 am tomorrow to review and agree with the report. Seems a little harsh and given the time now, very little time to read through this. Is there anything i can go back with?

Do we have to agree or approve the report before he can issue the final report?

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Very quick question for anyone listening.

We have just received a draft customer audit carried out last week. Is there a certain amount of time, or a certain procedure that they have to follow with regards to issuing the final report. We have only been given till 7 am tomorrow to review and agree with the report. Seems a little harsh and given the time now, very little time to read through this. Is there anything i can go back with?

Do we have to agree or approve the report before he can issue the final report?

Good day @sallyann ;
The short answer is "no". 'They" are the customer.

However, your concern seems valid. Hopefully your organization has taken the lead on ensuring that the relationship with this customer is well established, "close", and amiable. Hopefully someone in your organization is in a position to reach out to the customer (be it technical or commercial avenues) and voice the concerns you've stated.

Have your "ducks" in a row...i.e. ensure you have bulleted/ articulated each of your concerns and the logic

(e.g....
- Ensure a multidiscipline team has an opportunity to review and interact (best practice... ensures full engagement)
- Ensure opportunity for discussion (best practice--ensures all disciplines have an opportunity to weigh in)
- San Gen Shugi (i.e. allow opportunity to visit the ACTUAL place of contention...observe the ACTUAL product and the ACTUAL condition (the
process in question does not begin until 9:00am)

For the reasons stated above, we respectfully request a response extension until.....xx/yy/zzzz
..etc..etc...etc...

It's ALL about the relationships. If the customer trusts your organization...they should be receptive.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

QuinnM

Involved In Discussions
Hi Sallyann,
We were audited last year by a large medical device manufacturer. At the end of the audit we were presented with an audit report. The report listed the five findings, which were not a surprise because they were discussed during the previous five day audit. The report included our responsibilities to address the findings, including a time-line for our response to the findings. I did not have to sign the audit report, but I'm not surprised some companies would want a signature. If your audit report wants immediate responses for an investigation, root cause, corrective action plan; then this is unreasonable. If your audit report wants you to confirm the findings, the this is typical. I am assuming the findings were discussed during the audit and any issues were resolved at the closing meeting.
All the best,
Quinn

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
That's unreasonable and they should have discussed during the closing meeting what their expected timelines are.
It's just poor auditing practice.
There is no standard or procedure on these... I would guess that they might have an internal procedure that requires you to agree with the draft by a certain date but the dragged their feet getting it to you, so you have to make up the time. Pure speculation but I have seen it happen.

I would politely push back like John said and take my time reviewing it and comparing it to what came up in the audit and closing meeting.

Top Bottom