Customer Specific Requirements - Not Provided by Customer?

JBurnaBTNH

Registered
Hey All, I am in a bit of a strange situation. We are a Tier 2 semiconductor manufacturing site, recently purchased by a new company. To date, we only technically have a few known direct automotive customers and we are being told by our corporate team that we do not have any CSR documentation from these customers. The only issue is, as part of our previous company, we know that at least some of these customers do have CSR documents. Assuming these CSR documents have not been provided to our new company and they are not readily available online, are we still considered on the hook for being compliant to these? We've been told by management we do not actively seek out CSRs.

If CSRs are not provided by a customer and do not exist in a document available to the public, are we OK to state there are no CSR for these customers? Or should we be actively seeking these out. This has been a big point of dissension during the last few weeks.

The only documentation that I see that relates to this is the FAQ on the IATF website where it discusses your CSR matrix requirements and has the following verbiage: It is important to note that the non-IATF OEM customers and other automotive customers may have customer requirements in an internal document that is shared with their suppliers (e.g. such as a supplier quality manual) or in a specific document available to the public (e.g. internet).

I appreciate any feedback/opinions on this matter.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I appreciate any feedback/opinions on this matter.
Any customer requirement should be somehow discussed in the contractual stage. If you suspect there are CSR’s that apply to the relationship, but no formal flowdown from the customer, you should be proactive and trigger a communication channel with the customer supplier quality function to clarify.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
In the IATF world you are responsible for seeking out the CSRs. I find it impossible to believe that your customers haven't made them available -- usually send out as a "supplier quality manual" or loaded on a supplier web portal. A lot will depend on your auditor and how detailed they want to get.

JBurnaBTNH

Registered
In the IATF world you are responsible for seeking out the CSRs. I find it impossible to believe that your customers haven't made them available -- usually send out as a "supplier quality manual" or loaded on a supplier web portal. A lot will depend on your auditor and how detailed they want to get.
Thank you and I completely agree. This has been a bit of a challenging transition.

JBurnaBTNH

Registered
Any customer requirement should be somehow discussed in the contractual stage. If you suspect there are CSR’s that apply to the relationship, but no formal flowdown from the customer, you should be proactive and trigger a communication channel with the customer supplier quality function to clarify.
Thank you and I am in complete agreement. I'm trying to build a case to change some mindsets within the company otherwise I have no doubt this will be an issue come time for the audit.

Sebastian

Send official letter to Tier-1 Purchasing department asking "Are there any CSR applicable to us?".
And wait....
Send quarterly reminder, if no answer ... and wait.
Do not put any CSR in matrix on your own, just show this letter to 3rd party auditor in emergency case.

Golfman25

Thank you and I am in complete agreement. I'm trying to build a case to change some mindsets within the company otherwise I have no doubt this will be an issue come time for the audit.
The problem with "deal with at the contract stage" is most of us have long term relationships with the customers. The contract have been approved a long time ago. CSRs come and go, usually a new version when the customer hires a new quality lead. Keeping on top of them is a definitely a chore.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
Please don't use "CSR" for any non-IATF 16949 standard, customer requirements.

CSRs are customer direct additions to IATF 16949 clauses.

Customer requirements are any other things a customer wants.

Both are defined in the IATF 16949 standard.

Randy

Super Moderator
OK, I'm a bit on the stupid side here, but, how can you have "Customer Specific Requirements" if none have been provided anyway?

If you have none, why fret and let something more important, like lunch, escape?

Kronos147

OK, I'm a bit on the stupid side here, but, how can you have "Customer Specific Requirements" if none have been provided anyway?

If you have none, why fret and let something more important, like lunch, escape?
Because in Automotive the customer CHARGES for a rejection. I recall PACCAR charging $500 for a rejection about 10 years ago. I wonder what they charge today.

Top Bottom