Developing a CPI for First Pass Yield Final Inspection - Need help

M

mg101109

Hello! I am relatively new to projects and process improvement initiatives. I have been assigned a task that is a little overwhelming to me and I was hoping I could get some advice and gain some insight. Our first pass yield final inspection goal should be 95%, but it is at 88.6%. I have created the metric for tracking and trending the issues of non-conformance, as we didn't have that prior. I have completed a C&E (cause and effects) diagram. I thought I picked a few of the low hanging fruit that would be easy to perform root cause analysis on. I have 5 Why'd the issues to death and I am still not getting to the root of one of the problems. Nobody wants to own up to taking responsibility, all they want to do is point fingers. I keep reminding the employees that I am focused on the process, not the people, but come up short of the goal. How can I get the supervisors and employees actively engaged on improving the process and reducing errors? In turn reducing rework and scrap? Thanks for any help I might receive. MG

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello! I am relatively new to projects and process improvement initiatives. I have been assigned a task that is a little overwhelming to me and I was hoping I could get some advice and gain some insight. Our first pass yield final inspection goal should be 95%, but it is at 88.6%. I have created the metric for tracking and trending the issues of non-conformance, as we didn't have that prior. I have completed a C&E (cause and effects) diagram. I thought I picked a few of the low hanging fruit that would be easy to perform root cause analysis on. I have 5 Why'd the issues to death and I am still not getting to the root of one of the problems. Nobody wants to own up to taking responsibility, all they want to do is point fingers. I keep reminding the employees that I am focused on the process, not the people, but come up short of the goal. How can I get the supervisors and employees actively engaged on improving the process and reducing errors? In turn reducing rework and scrap? Thanks for any help I might receive. MG

Can someone help?

Thank you.

Stijloor.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
a few questions to start:
are you sure the 'low hanging fruit' nonconformances are due to errors?
who 'owns' the goal of 95%? Who cares that the goal gets met? why is this goal important?
in the grand scheme of things, what are the largest problems facing the manufacturing line and where does the FPY goal miss fit in?

M

mg101109

a few questions to start:
are you sure the 'low hanging fruit' nonconformances are due to errors?
who 'owns' the goal of 95%? Who cares that the goal gets met? why is this goal important?
in the grand scheme of things, what are the largest problems facing the manufacturing line and where does the FPY goal miss fit in?
Hi Bev,

Thanks for the response. To answer your questions, in order.

No, I am not 100% certain the non-conformances are due to errors. In fact, I know some of the issue is system based. No control, no follow through, etc.

Secondly, the plant manager is the person who made this an objective/goal for all of the quality assurance staff during our reviews, yet I was assigned the task of developing a metric and a plan for getting us to the 95%. I know our customers expect anywhere from 90-95% quality, so I am sure that is where this is coming from.

The miss occurrs much earlier in the process than final inspection, the idea of the project is for me to figure out how we can stop those orders from getting to final inspection. We do not do a good job of true root cause analysis when we do have rework. One person thinks he knows what the cause is, but basically it is a band-aid fix and we move on to the next fire. I have proposed tracking and trending the rework routers and performing real time root cause analysis and corrective or preventive action when the issue occurs. Otherwise, we are going to keep having repeat rework and unattainalble FPY.

I hope that makes sense. And thank you again for the response.

MG101109

Q

QCAce

A few comments based on a few things that you have said:

- excellent start and approach by focusing on the nonconformance data. I believe the best approach to improving the first pass yield is to focus on the top NC's that you are finding. You mentioned the 95% goal was given to the QA Staff. I have no problem with this as long as it is the same goal for Production, Mfg Engineering, Purchasing, etc. Hopefully it's not just a goal for QA.

- along those lines, it would be good if you could get someone from production, a supervisor, mfg engineering, and QA, into a meeting as a cross-functional team to look at your top NC issue. Getting them together in a separate room to just discuss the one issue will help generate ideas. Remember your main role on the team is to help improve data collection and information, not necessarily coming up with a solution.

- offer to help collect any more information where needed. Let them know that you consider this just as much your NC as theirs and you are there as a resource to help where ever needed.

- are there any details you can give about the top NC being found?

M

mg101109

A few comments based on a few things that you have said:

- excellent start and approach by focusing on the nonconformance data. I believe the best approach to improving the first pass yield is to focus on the top NC's that you are finding. You mentioned the 95% goal was given to the QA Staff. I have no problem with this as long as it is the same goal for Production, Mfg Engineering, Purchasing, etc. Hopefully it's not just a goal for QA.

- along those lines, it would be good if you could get someone from production, a supervisor, mfg engineering, and QA, into a meeting as a cross-functional team to look at your top NC issue. Getting them together in a separate room to just discuss the one issue will help generate ideas. Remember your main role on the team is to help improve data collection and information, not necessarily coming up with a solution.

- offer to help collect any more information where needed. Let them know that you consider this just as much your NC as theirs and you are there as a resource to help where ever needed.

- are there any details you can give about the top NC being found?
We have two major areas of non-conformance. The first is dimensional issues (primarily undersized features caused by rework; polishing) and laser mark (primarily rubbing off or failing boil test; parts most likely not adequately cleaned prior to marking.) I was told I could use the plant resources. So, I figured great, I will have a meeting. So, I had requested a couple of meetings, nobody showed up and then my boss told me I was responsible for the result of the project, not the team. I can't solve this by myself, but I am not getting much help either. So I am trying to come up with a good plan to present and the reasons why I need to use the resources. I think I have a pretty good idea where this will go. Thanks again!

M

J

JOHNNY POONAN

Hello,

Have you received responses to your request.
I am in a similiar situation and will appreciate your support

1winnyAK

I am in the same situation too..if you have a respone in your request please share ...

Top Bottom