Do we need an SOP for ISO 9001?

Rol2292

Registered
Hello all,

I'm in the same boat as Teddy Westside. I'm also new to Quality Management. My company is working towards certification during this first quarter of 2023. We are a two man shop so the belief was that this would be somewhat less involved than larger organizations.. We have our own processes and know what works for our company and the industry it serves. So my question is, how do I tailor this for ISO?

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Hello Rol2292, and welcome to The Cove!

We used the ISO What to Do book when we got started. It is written by ISO itself for small businesses.

It is also helpful to hire a consultant. We did that too. A good one will save you from developing unnecessary documentation and procedures, or creating a straightjacket rather than setting you on the way to improvement. Make sure you choose somebody with experience and check references. They are worth every penny.

On the utility of documentation, my view differs from previous advice on this thread. Good documented information provides many benefits. Most importantly, it provides a baseline for improvement. Fortunately you do not need a lot of documentation to get certified. You start with a small amount of documentation, but as you run your continuous improvement process your documentation will get polished and, inevitably, grow. Make sure you involve your whole team in this (both of ya! :) ). The CI process is the key to a good system and to good quality.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Hello all,

I'm in the same boat as Teddy Westside. I'm also new to Quality Management. My company is working towards certification during this first quarter of 2023. We are a two man shop so the belief was that this would be somewhat less involved than larger organizations.. We have our own processes and know what works for our company and the industry it serves. So my question is, how do I tailor this for ISO?
A couple of months ago someone started a few threads here and his one-man company was also coerced convinced to seek certification. Please do a search because the discussions there apply to your case.

Top Bottom